Alberta Waste and Recycling legislation
- Alberta’s recycling regulatory framework amendments
- Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (EPEA)
Government of Alberta
- Recycling - Information on what and how to recycle
- Waste Facilities - Including landfills and transfer stations
Alberta Recycling Programs
- The Beverage Container Management Board (BCMB) manages the deposit return program for beverage containers.
- The Alberta Recycling Management Authority (Alberta Recycling) manages programs for electronics, paint, used oil, and tires.
Recycling Council of Alberta (RCA)
- The RCA has created presentation overviewing Waste-to-Energy and how it fits into a zero-waste strategy
Other Programs and Resources
- A City of Edmonton report on food waste and food waste reduction
- A study examining EPR and the effect of online purchasing
Municipalities are increasingly collaborating to provide services to their residents and waste management is no exception. For example, the Capital Region Waste Minimization Advisory Committee (CRWMAC) provides a forum for all municipalities in the Capital Region area to share information and implement joint waste minimization strategies and solutions. Its Terms of Reference sets out a vision for the region to be a leader in waste minimization that strives to achieve greater than 80 per cent waste diversion.
The CRWMAC has developed the Capital Region Integrated Waste Management Plan (CRIWMP) to evaluate the “how to” and feasibility of achieving the target of diverting 80 per cent of waste. Documents related to the plan include the following: