The Government of Alberta's Budget 2020 was released on Thursday, February 27. AUMA’s team of experienced analysts is examining the budget and will release preliminary findings of how Budget 2020 will affect municipalities.
AUMA is keen to see the acknowledgment of several priority items reflected in the 2020 Budget, including:
- Municipalities cannot absorb any further cutbacks or additional costs without significantly increasing taxes or cutting back essential services after already adjusting to funding cutbacks and program changes introduced in the provincial budget last fall.
- Now is the time to invest in maintaining Alberta’s infrastructure. Prices are relatively low and Alberta’s private construction firms are struggling to hang on through this extended downturn.
- The 4% increase of the education tax requisition in 2020-21 will occur at the same time as provincial education spending is frozen. This increase is unacceptable to municipalities and ratepayers.
Webinar and Q&A session:
To help Alberta's municipalities better understand the potential implications of Budget 2020, and to hear your reactions, we hosted a webinar on Friday, February 28. Due to a limited number of available connections, the webinar was exclusive to municipalities. Watch it on our YouTube channel.
- AUMA's Questions and Answers on Alberta's 2020-21 Budget
- AUMA Analysis of Provincial Budget 2020
- AUMA's Budget 2019 analysis and resources
AUMA's ongoing advocacy:
- AUMA's submission to the Premier
- News article: AUMA submits letter to Premier Kenney as part of President’s Summit next steps
- News article: Now available: provincial budget analysis and webinar recording
Provincial government links:
Bookmark this webpage and follow us for announcements about updated analysis: