Want to be part of our dedicated Accounting team? Are you someone who has a strong background in municipal accounting and the day to day operations of a Finance Department? Are you ready to be challenged?? If so, we’d like to introduce you to our Accounting Technician position opening!
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Accounting Technician provides support for all areas relating to accounting, financial reporting, and taxation. This position assists in the development and execution of procedures and guidelines to ensure accurate and timely financial statements and reports. This position is leads and supports frontline Finance staff. Ensuring the timely and accurate processing in all areas of Reception, AP, AR, Billings, and the professional conduct of staff. All are critical to the operations and image of the City.
Role and Responsibilities:
Financial reporting, Development and Recommendation of Financial Policies, Internal Control:
- Develop, prepare, and recommend financial policies and procedures
- Plan and perform internal audits on various processes
- Approve and upload Utility and Tax EFT for collection of automatic withdrawal payments
- Review and approval of payables up to $5,000 per invoice
- Upload AP EFT for final approval.
Supervision of staff
- Conduct staff meetings to share information, discuss any problems that may arise, give direction, and schedule training
- Recommend for hire, setting goals, assigning work, reviewing progress, and checking results
- Conduct performance reviews and make recommendation for promotion, discipline, coaching, mentoring, or training
- Approve staff timesheets and leave requests
- Promote safety by scheduling training, meetings and following safety policy guidelines and legislation
Analysis, adjustments, and reporting
- Make recommendations for write offs from uncollectable accounts
- Make recommendation for write offs of stale dated cheques
- Follow up on tax recovery
- Review and approve all bank deposits, cash receipts, including refunds, along with supporting documentation
- Investigate exceptions, errors, and anomalies; take corrective action if necessary
- On-going G/L account analysis (i.e. clear suspense accounts, misc. revenues)
- Set up recurring journal entries for insurance cost allocation, equipment pool and reserve transfers, etc.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation on City’s general account; ensure all other bank accounts are reconciled monthly
- Review and approve monthly sub-ledger reconciliations
- Assist in preparing year end lead sheets for all City sub-ledgers and revenue accounts providing explanations for differences.
- Schedule adequate resources to assist the public, and to process AP, AR, Billings and Tax Levies ensuring an above average standard of professionalism at all times
- Interpret policies, bylaws and the MGA when required to give a clear understanding to our customers as questions and or disputes arise with a goal of fair and consistent treatment of all customers in accordance with the guidelines set out in policy, bylaw and/or legislation
- Negotiate payment arrangements when necessary with clear expectations, documentation and follow up required with support from the Finance Manager
- Ensure confidentiality regarding customers private information is adhered to in accordance with the FOIP legislation
Banking, Investments and Cash Flow
- Ensure monthly bank reconciliations are prepared and reviewed
- Prepare cash flow analysis for review
- Ensure investment income is recorded in a timely manner
Treasury and Risk Management
- Complete and review all investment journal entries and associated working papers.
- Complete and review all accounting for debt as well as preparing bylaws and loan applications.
- Monitor the City’s cash balance in the operating account and make recommendations on funds to invest or investments that should be liquidated based on policy.
- Oversee insurance program including management of insurance policies and claims.
- Provide backup to Pay & Benefits Administrator during periods of absence such as running the bi-weekly payroll.
- Complete and review all offsite levy journal entries as transactions occur, updating working papers monthly, and provide the information required to update the offsite levy model annually.
- Provide timely reporting on reserve dollars and eligibility requirements to meet departmental initiatives.
- Make recommendations regarding budget items such as software upgrades, training, and staffing levels
- Research and test upgrades to the financial software to make recommendations on the most efficient use of the software and any updates or additions for frontline staff and other areas of the City
Education and Work Experience
- Undergraduate degree with a concentration in accounting, Finance, or an Accounting Diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution
- CPA enrollment is an asset; or Level III completion
- Minimum of five (5) years of general accounting
- Experience in the areas of municipal accounting, the MGA and supervision
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics software is a definite asset
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, tactful, service-oriented relationships with staff and management.
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Must be analytical with attention to detail.
- Maintaining a high degree of accuracy is essential.
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft Office.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Dynamics and the ability to access data from various financial and non-financial information systems.
- Must be adept in learning financial software.
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.