*INTERNAL CANDIDATE APPLYING
Administrative Assistant, Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board (EMRB)
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Initiatives (SI) with dotted line accountability to the Executive Assistant (EA) to the CEO, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing administrative support to the SI Branch and, working in concert with the Administrative Support Team, for providing overall comprehensive administrative support to the Board and EMRB Administration. The Administrative Assistant directly supports the SI Branch Director and Office Manager, and serves as office receptionist.
EMRB was created in April 2008 with the promulgation by the Province of Alberta of the Capital Region Board Regulation. The Board is a Growth Management Board under the Municipal Government Act (MGA). The Regulation identifies the authorities and responsibilities of the Board including the preparation and implementation of the Regional Growth Plan, Metropolitan Servicing Plan, and other fiduciary responsibilities as outlined. The MGA and Regulation govern the overall operations of the Board.
The EMRB is made up of the 13 urban and rural municipalities from within the Edmonton Metropolitan Region. The Board’s primary functions include regional long range planning, public policy development and advocacy.
The Administrative Assistant position provides a high level of administrative support and is responsible for:
- Providing comprehensive administrative support to the SI Branch and Office Manager, including:
- Preparing correspondence, meeting materials, presentations, meeting notes and minutes;
- Booking and scheduling meetings;
- Handling requests and inquiries and redirecting where appropriate;
- Assisting with member expense claims and supporting other office management functions as required;
- Developing templates and other tools to standardize workflow management practices;
- Establishing and implementing administrative systems, procedures, and policies to monitor and support branch projects and initiatives;
- In conjunction with EA to the CEO and Project Coordinator, maintaining and enhancing the filing system for EMRB Administration and the Board; and,
- Assisting in the maintenance and operation of the EMRB website and social media presence.
- As part of the Administrative Support Team, providing Board and Committee meetings support, including:
- Assembling, proofing, editing, and distributing agenda packages;
- Preparing and maintaining distribution lists, contact lists, and stakeholders lists;
- Managing event bookings and meeting logistics (e.g. scheduling attendees, room procurement, equipment, food, etc.);
- Setting-up boardrooms and equipment for in-house Board and Committee meetings;
- Supporting the management of the systems document and agenda workflows; and,
- Taking and preparing meeting minutes and meeting notes.
- Providing overall office support, including:
- Managing the front reception and dealing with telephone and walk-in inquiries;
- Receiving, reviewing and forwarding mail and general email for the organization to the appropriate person for action;
- Maintaining the master agenda planner
- Maintaining the master booking calendar for the organization;
- Reviewing office and equipment conditions to assist with the effective operation of the EMRB Administration, identifying and following-up on equipment/service issues and inventorying and procuring office supplies;
- Maintaining professional appearance and cleanliness of the reception area, boardrooms and office kitchen;
- Coordinating administrative support activities with EA to the CEO and Project Coordinator;
- Supporting and assisting EA to the CEO, as required;
- Providing back up for EA to the CEO and Project Coordinator in their absence; and,
- Other administrative support duties as required.
The Administrative Assistant reports to the SI Director, and is ultimately responsible to the EMRB CEO.
Skills and Experience
- Intermediate working knowledge of administrative systems and processes including general office policies and procedures.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of self-direction, initiative, and discretion.
- Understanding of standards, policies, procedures and practices that affect Boards and Committees.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
- Relevant experience in municipal and provincial government or other public sector organization would be an asset.
- Knowledge and experience working with websites, graphic design, and various social media platforms would be an asset.
Please send resumes to:
Agata Lewandowski, Executive Assistant
Closes January 18, 2019 @ 4:30pm