Reporting to the Senior Director, Corporate Planning & Governance, the Administrative Assistant, Governance provides administrative support for the creation and distribution of meeting agendas and materials for our large number of Boards and Committees. As well, the incumbent is responsible for scheduling all Board and Committee Meetings, key organizational Board and Committee events and as well as general administrative support for the work unit including the creation and formatting of documents.
Education and Skills
- Minimum 3 years’ experience at an Administrative Assistant level.
- Post-secondary training in Business, Public Administration, or Office Administration would be an asset.
- Experience working in a complex organizational structure involving multiple entities. Past work directly with a Board of Directors is an asset.
Skills and Attributes
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Well organized and ability to multi-task and meet a steady series of rigorous deadlines.
- Ability to manage electronic records on various platforms for the Governance business unit.
- Ability to be flexible and responsive to changing priorities and circumstances.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills – oral and written.
- Highly proficient in all Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and exercise sound judgment in making operational decisions.
- Knowledge of standards for meeting minutes.
- Comfortable in taking action to follow up on overdue materials from others.
- Board and Committee Agenda Administration
- Work with the Executive team to prepare an annual calendar of Board and Committee meetings and key events for the organization and update for changes throughout the year.
- Prepare meeting packages for the year for 15 Boards and Committees, and ad-hoc meetings, reflecting required cyclical regulatory, financial and governance discussions and decision requests. Work with the Executive team to add other agenda items as they arise.
- Remind creators of meeting materials of submission deadlines and follow up on delinquent items.
- Assist in drafting agendas in advance of meetings and preparing minutes and summaries of information and decisions following each meeting.
- Administer the agenda software system.
- Track applications for committees, compiling information on skills and experience.
- Maintain Board and Committee member listings and contact information.
- Update the Board Orientation Handbook on Convene
- Ensure information about Board members is kept current on our webpage.
- Maintain corporate minute books and agenda for minutes archives.
- Maintain the inventory of external committee appointments, tracking scope, frequency, and remuneration.
- Coordinate and organize logistics for Board meetings and events
- Responsible for tracking the annual AUMA awards for municipal leaders (i.e. update nomination forms, track nominations, draft requests for decisions on recommended recipients).
- Responsible for drafting appointment and rejection letters for the Advocacy Committees
- Provide administrative support for strategic planning sessions, key organizational events, and the annual Board of Director election process.
- Assist with creating and formatting the team’s documents and presentations including policies and procedures.
- Coordinate records management for the team.
- Perform duties as assigned that may be required by the Marketing, Communications and Strategy Team.
- Involved with highly time-sensitive work that requires a high level of accuracy and confidentiality.
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations. Some travel may be necessary
To apply for this position, please submit your resume with cover letter to Jeff Simpson, Senior Director, Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection of people to perform this position is based on matching their knowledge, skills, competencies, and behaviours to the work to be performed so that the best-qualified candidates are chosen. AUMA is committed to employment practices that are unbiased with regard to equal opportunity of employment. AUMA makes every effort to be in compliance with the Alberta Human Rights Legislation.