Do you enjoy the ever changing pace of working within an emergency services environment? Do you have experience managing the office of a Director/Executive in a highly dynamic environment with operational and administrative demands? Does your experience provide you with the knowledge and skills to anticipate and support the needs of the Fire Chief seamlessly?
The Administrative Assistant II provides high-level confidential administrative support to the Fire Chief, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of the County and Strathcona County Emergency Services (SCES) in a political environment.
- Review and prioritize correspondence and prepare draft responses for the Fire Chief’s approval
- Manage and maintain calendars, arrange and book meetings, prioritize and rearrange schedules, prepare day/meeting files, research and provide any necessary back-up documentation
- Maintain task list to ensure items are completed and deadlines are met
- Coordinate the preparation of Council and Priorities Committee Reports, Executive Team Issue Briefs, and liaise with Executive Administration to ensure corporate policies and timelines are met
- Review Council and Priorities Committee meeting agendas, minutes, action sheets, and ensure items related to SCES are handled promptly
- Support the department’s weekly Management Team meetings by coordinating the preparation of the agenda and serve as recording secretary, when necessary, ensuring the notes are transcribed and circulated in a timely manner
- Liaise with Elected Officials, Executive Team, department Directors, SCES Management, and related support staff, IAFF Union Executive, government agencies, industrial partners, and other external and internal stakeholders
- Support the SCES Medal Bestowment Committee by preparing the meeting agenda and serving as scribe maintain list of nominated staff, ensuring all department standards and deadlines are met
- Serve as the administrative support for monthly Liaison Committee meetings by coordinating the preparation and distribution of the meeting agenda, record, transcribe and distribute the minutes for approval, and track any action items to ensure completeness in a timely manner
- Work with the Marketing and Communications Specialist to coordinate departmental events to which dignitaries are invited
- Manage corporate records as required by a department records representative, including FOIP
- Provide administrative back-up to other branch administrative assistants and customer support assistant
Skills and Abilities
- High level of organizational and administrative skills with the ability to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities while working under pressure to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills to assess needs, provide assistance, resolve problems and satisfy expectations
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Adobe etc.
- Ability to learn other specific software systems such as Open Text Content Server, eScribe and County Connect
- Ability to recognize matters of a confidential nature and handle in a discreet, professional manner
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and within a team environment
- Office administration diploma/certificate from an accredited program/institution with five (5) years of related experience in a senior administrative capacity
- Previous administrative experience supporting C-suite or Senior leadership roles is highly preferable
- Experience working in an emergency services department or working in the public sector would be considered an asset
- Incident Command System (ICS) 100 training is an asset
In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply for this position, please click here or on the link below:
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #079-2019-EXT-SCES closes March 17, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.