This is a temporary full-time position working thirty-five (35) hours per week for approximately two (2) years within the Compensation Branch of the Human Resources Department. This position is located in the community of Fort McMurray, the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo’s urban centre.
The Advisor, Compensation provides advice and support to the organization in the areas of compensation, benefits, pension, retirement and the development and evaluation of position descriptions. Assists with the on-boarding and off boarding process of internal offers. Primary responsibilities of this position include
Process Development: Researches and assists with the development and implementation of departmental compensation strategies, tools, and administrative directives based on best practices for continuous improvement. Contributes to the job evaluation process, salary surveys and total rewards costing. Engages in the interpretation, application and system processes.
Departmental Advice: Acts as a departmental advisor providing technical and functional guidance with regards to total rewards/compensation policies, procedures, program implementation, and legislation to all levels of staff. Ensure consistency in legislatively compliant administrative guidelines, policies and procedures; based on best practices, precedents and organizational executive direction. Provides expertise and interprets collective agreements in relation to total compensation.
Service Delivery: Mentors, coaches, transfers knowledge, and provides human resources management information and support to supervisors and managers. Develops and maintains competitive compensation policies, practices, and programs for use within the municipality based on organizational compensation philosophy. Ensures job information is aligned with current and future business and system requirements. Provides compensation and total rewards support for labor negotiations. Ensures job classification systems and wage/salary structures are maintained and that job description development and evaluation processes are followed.
- A degree in Human Resources, Finance, or Business is required.
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CPHR) and Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designations are assets.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a Human Resources environment or relevant experience with a focus in compensation and benefits or related data analysis.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s licence is required.
- Experience working in a public-sector environment with unionized and non-unionized employees considered an asset.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Candidates need to show evidence of the following:
- High degree of knowledge of current best practices in Human Resources administration, compensation structure modeling, job evaluations, employment and labour standards, pension and benefits legislation, salary trends, payroll systems, and internal controls.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts and interacts in a manner that builds trust, credibility, and rapport.
- Negotiation, conflict management, communication, interpersonal, investigation, mediation, facilitation, and analytical skills.
- High emotional intelligence capacity including the ability to deal effectively with ambiguity, remain calm and neutral in conflict situations and respectfully and sensitively resolve issues.
- Proven ability to be discreet, keep all information and documentation strictly confidential.
- Highly proficient in various human resources computer applications and software including the ability to manipulate data and prepare ad hoc reports using Microsoft Excel and SAP.
- Strong aptitude for customer service, employee coaching and motivation and performance management.
- Sound planning, prioritization and execution skills.
- Knowledge of total rewards models.
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer other attractive incentives:
-an additional bi-weekly payment of $480 which represents a cost of living allowance
Please visit our website at www.rmwb.ca.