Reporting to the Manager of Development and providing assistance to the Development Officer, this position performs a wide variety of development functions and is the primary customer contact and information source for development and building permits. The purpose of this position is to provide timely and accurate advice, acceptance, processing, calculation, approval and issuance of development permits, compliance requests and inquiries from ratepayers, developers, staff, realtors, government agencies and others on a variety of zoning and development matters to ensure that development complies with the Town of Sylvan Lake Land Use Bylaw.
- Responsible for providing direct service to the general public, interaction with the applicant, various public and private agencies and staff;
- Assist customers with all permit processes including ensuring application is complete;
- Liaise with Safety Codes Officers as related to permit and property inquiries;
- Accept, review, calculate, process and issue decisions related to permitted use development permit applications in a timely fashion and in a manner consistent with the regulations of the Municipal Government Act, Land Use Bylaw and Service Standards;
- Prepare and forward all corresponding building information to safety codes officer (stamp plans, attach required building permit information for processing the building permit);
- Maintain various databases such as compliance tracking, development and building permits database;
- Prepare written reports on minor variance applications when required;
- Advertising of development permits, preparation and distribution of notices to adjacent landowners;
- Acts as minute taker to the Municipal Planning Commission and secretary to the Development Industry Advisory Committee;
- Development and management of development and building statistics;
- Departmental mapping and proficiency at utilizing the Town’s GIS system;
- Process requests for compliance certificates through review of real property reports and town property files to ensure compliance with approved development and building permits, and prepares encroachment agreements when required;
- Initiate enforcement measures relative to the Land Use Bylaw and follow up on compliance with development permit conditions (ie Stop Orders) which may include site inspections;
- A general understanding of development and safety codes practices in Alberta.
- Post secondary training in land use planning or related discipline, including completion of or registration in the Land Use Planning Certification Program;
- 2 years or more experience in development or related field;
- Active member of the Alberta Development Officer’s Association;
- Possess and actively illustrate a high standards of excellence in customer service to meet and exceed customer expectations, both internal and external;
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality;
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, to a wide audience including Federal, Provincial, and Municipal Government departments, businesses, organizations, developers, citizens and town staff;
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team and to multi-task;
- Effective in planning, organizing and prioritizing work to produce measurable results;
- Proven strong project management and interpersonal skills;
- Conduct project research and access information from a variety of internal and external sources;
- Proficient computer skills and training in computer applications (internet access and electronic communication; and understanding of computer security and the ability to use programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, and the Town’s GIS system), as well as working knowledge of other office equipment.
This is a terrific opportunity to work in a professional, team focused environment. You have a strong desire to be major contributor to the success of a vibrant and growing organization. If you are up to the challenge of taking ownership and wanting to make a difference, this is an ideal situation. We offer competitive rates, an excellent benefit package and a strong team to work with.
If this position intrigues you, please submit your resume in confidence specifying which position you are applying for by January 15, 2018 to:
Town of Sylvan Lake
5012 – 48 Avenue, Sylvan Lake, AB T4S 1G6
Attention: Human Resources
F 403 887 3660 | email@example.com