The Town of Slave Lake is a young and vibrant community in North Central Alberta. Nestled among the boreal forest and along the banks of Lesser Slave Lake, the Town is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream and an exciting place for professionals to grow and make a difference in their community. The Town of Slave Lake wishes to promote its assets and opportunities to business, investors, residents, and visitors through a new, robust economic development program.
Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, the Assistant Economic Development Officer (AEDO) is the key full-time Town of Slave Lake employee who will assist the Economic Development consultant with the economic development activities within this program.
The Assistant Economic Development Officer will assist with the development and implementation of the Town of Slave Lake Economic Development Plan, working with the Economic Development consultants as required for various studies. This person will collaborate with First Nations, Municipal Districts, other economic development organizations, businesses, and educational institutions to achieve the economic development strategic goals, and meet with businesses within and outside the region in order to develop relationships and to ensure that the Town of Slave Lake is known as a place for business and industry to grow. The AEDO role is an opportunity to be out in the community, to learn new skills, to get a solid start or next step in the economic development field, and to progress into a more senior economic development position with the Town of Slave Lake.
POSITION REPORTS TO:
Chief Administrative Officer
SPECIFIC DUTIES OF THIS POSITION:
- BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & MARKETING
- Assist with developing and implementing an Economic Development plan for the Town of Slave Lake.
- Meet with business and industry to ensure that they are aware that the Town of Slave Lake provides excellent opportunities for growth.
- Act as a representative of the region to the business community, investors, the public, and other stakeholders.
- Work with regional and community organizations on joint marketing initiatives.
- Continually update the regional inventory of assets.
- Assist in updating and maintaining the Slave Lake Region marketing materials, such as the community profile, economic profile, resident welcome package, business welcome package and family life in the region, as needed online and in print.
- Assist and participate in developing new initiatives and projects to further economic, tourism and community development goals.
- Coordinate familiarization tours with investors and business leaders to showcase the region’s competitive advantage.
- Assist with preparing and updating regional land-use maps of available parcels for development and keep abreast with new buildings and developments in commercial, industrial and medium-high residential zonings.
- Ensure up-to-date and accurate data on housing trends and costs and rental vacancy rates.
- Continually update the Town Slave Lake website and social media with news articles, community and economic events and new initiatives and projects relevant to development in the region.
- JOINT PARTNERSHIPS
- Develop relationships and partnerships with the business community, federal and provincial governments, first nations, municipalities, associations, organizations and educational institutions in achieving the established goals and objectives of the Town.
- Effectively support and attend meetings relevant to the region on economic development, business development and investment, tourism and community issues.
- Assist in creating and implementing strategic plans with community partners including a tourism strategic plan and the economic growth plan.
- Analyse and monitor all incoming inquiries and consultations for evaluation purposes.
- Compiles information and statistics for use in business consultation.
- Work with the CAO to prepare and monitor the Department budget and expenses.
- Assist with preparing and present reports to Town Council.
- Monitor grant opportunities and apply any that are suitable.
- HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Must adhere to all safety standards under the Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, Town Policies and Procedures and WHMIS Guidelines. For specific responsibilities of this position, refer to the Town’s Health and Safety Policy, Section 2 – Responsibilities for CAO, Directors, Supervisors and Workers.
AUTHORITIES OF THIS POSITION:
- Make day-to-day routine decisions according to established policies and procedures and standard office practices.
- Use pleasant manner and sound judgment when dealing with the public and staff.
- Exhibits discretion and confidentiality in the handling of organizational information / matters.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Ability to collaborate with diverse groups with excellent presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to write detailed reports.
- Knowledge of formal and informal political processes and of government sponsored economic development initiatives and programs.
- Ability to keep track of information relevant to economic development and knowledge of finance, project evaluation, and marketing processes.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and retain confidential information.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION
- Minimum of two years post-secondary education in Economic Development, Marketing or Business Administration, or a related discipline, is preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience in economic development, marketing/sales, administration, customer service, or municipal government.
- Knowledge of and fluency in Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook, with basic accounting knowledge.
- Excellent research and communications and public relations skills, including written, oral and editing.
- Possess a valid class 5 driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
COMPENSATION FOR THE POSITION
- Starting wage is $60,000 per year
Please send applications to:
Town of Slave Lake
Slave Lake, AB T0G2A0
or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org