Reporting to the Economic Development Officer, this position is responsible for developing and leading the Business Retention and Expansion program. The primary function of this position is proactively connecting with existing businesses to understand and respond to local business needs. The Business Retention Specialist will engage the community in developing a comprehensive and robust, business retention and expansion program with the goal of helping businesses stay, grow and commit to the community.
This position will also be responsible for coordinating and implementing projects and programs that support business attraction; business retention and expansion; downtown redevelopment, Think Lloyd First Movement, tourism, destination marketing and event hosting; and other economic development, redevelopment programs or projects.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Business Retention and Expansion
- Initiate, develop, influence, and maintain collaborative relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders, specifically both internally and externally, including staff, council, higher levels of government, business, community organizations and academia sectors.
- Determine BRE community capacity including, readiness, community’s economic challenges.
- Managing, prioritizing, and leading downtown revitalization initiatives outlined in the Downtown Area Redevelopment Plan.
- Establishing and administering a Downtown Committee.
Marketing and Sales
- Support the Economic Development Officer in marketing Lloydminster, developing information packages, working with developers, realtors and area landowners, researching properties and businesses, and participating in facilitation of prospect tours.
- Respond to inquiries from the public, businesses, developers, realtors, and site selectors in a timely and professional manner.
- Conducts research to identify emerging community and business needs, trends, and services, and compiles and analyzes data.
- Provide input on trends in marketplace and in local business.
- Manage relationships with vendors, service providers and contractors, ensuring that all items are invoiced and paid on time.
- Responsible for managing office services by ensuring office operations, equipment and supplies are maintained and stocked, correspondence control, filing systems are designed and followed, supply requisitions are reviewed and approved.
- Other related duties as required.
- Normal working hours are between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, however there will be a requirement to be available outside these normal working hours.
- Post-Secondary Degree from a recognized institution with major course work in economic development, public or business administration.
- Five years’ experience in a related position.
- Experienced in handling a wide range of administrative and management support related tasks.
- Ability to communicate at a semi-technical and professional level with businesses, elected officials and the public.
- Proven ability to withstand stressful situations, influence positive outcomes through negotiations and respond courteously to complaints.
- Team player with a positive attitude that can communicate effectively with residents, businesses, and managers.
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Professional social and interpersonal communication skills, excellent relationship building skills and the ability to function in a major organizational unit requiring significant internal and external interaction.
- Posses excellent judgement and reasoning skills and the ability to make quick decisions.
- Energetic professional who excels at multitasking.
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s License registered in Alberta or Saskatchewan with an acceptable Driver’s Abstract is required. This position may be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business purposes.
The City of Lloydminster is an equal opportunity employer. If you have questions or require further information on this position, please contact us. All applications must be sent to the Employee Relations team and received by the closing date.
HR Generalist, Employee Relations
City of Lloydminster
Lloydminster AB/SK T9V 0W2
Internal Candidate Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
External Candidates apply at: www.lloydminster.ca/jobs