The Village of Glendon is a small village with a current population of 493 and is located approximately 2.5 hours northeast of Edmonton. Glendon has a wide range of businesses that provide residents and visitors with services without having to travel to larger centers. The Village of Glendon has a lot to offer for all ages. We are very proud of our recreational facilities that currently include an arena, curling rink, baseball diamonds, walking trails, and a Senior Citizen’s Centre. We are currently in the process of completing an outdoor sports facility, in partnership with the Northern Lights Public School Board and the Municipal District of Bonnyville. This new outdoor facility will include an 8 lane, 400 metre shale running track, an outdoor skating rink, soccer field, and football field.
Reporting to the Mayor and Council, the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is the administrative head of the municipality and is responsible for the administration of municipal operations and day-to-day tasks of the Village, as directed by Council. The CAO will provide leadership to 3 permanent, full-time staff.
- Responsible for coordinating and directing the affairs of the municipality and regularly reporting to Council.
- Provide advice and support to the Mayor and Council in coordinating, developing, and implementing policies and programs to meet the goals set by Council.
- Provide leadership to all employees
- Attends all meetings of Council and assists in the decision-making process by providing advice, guidance, and consultation as required.
- Develop community relationships through support to the community.
- Establish partnerships with neighbouring municipalities for the greater good of the entire region.
- Provide effective and efficient fiscal management.
- Ensure that staff are committed to providing continued excellent service to the general public and the business community.
- Ensure that financial systems and controls are developed and implemented.
- Responsible for preparing and presenting an annual operating and capital budget.
Qualifications and Experience
- Post Secondary degree in public or business administration or relevant field would be preferred.
- Working knowledge of the Alberta Municipal Government Act (MGA) and other relevant legislation.
- A minimum 3 years senior leadership experience in a municipal setting would be considered an asset.
- Ability to work with and lead staff and achieve positive outcomes.
- Understanding of the financial and budgeting process.
- Operating knowledge of relevant technology.
- Ability to implement development plans, capital work plans, and infrastructure improvement programs.
- Possess excellent communication skills.
- Possess strong decision-making skills.
- Ability to work effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards and committees, industry partners, and the public.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package are available. Specifics will be discussed in a personal interview.
There will be an opportunity to work with the retiring CAO for several months to set the new candidate up for success.
Qualified applicants should submit their resume to:
Mayor and Council
Village of Glendon
In person at 5306 Railway Avenue, Glendon
Mail to Box 177, Glendon, AB T0A 1P0