The current Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) has announced their intention to retire with an effective date of July 31, 2019. In order to ensure an efficient and effective transition in the selection and appointment of a permanent replacement, Council is inviting applications from suitably qualified and interested individuals.
The CAO is the administrative head of the municipality and is responsible for the overall administration of the Town of Coronation. This position is responsible for ensuring that Council’s strategic and business plans, goals and objectives are met while providing advice and support for the daily operations the municipality. The CAO performs all the duties and functions as per the Alberta Municipal Government Act, other enactments, or as assigned by Council.
The successful candidate will be an innovative leader who is comfortable with communicating and collaborating across the organization, as well as building effective relationships with the Mayor, Council, and all levels of government representatives, business and community organizations. Your background will include the ability to inspire and encourage staff with a shared sense of motivation and enthusiasm. You will also possess high levels of efficiency and productivity while dealing with a wide variety of tasks.
Some of Council’s current priorities include addressing new financial and capital planning standards; further strengthening emergency services response and delivery; developing a long-term strategy for land development and identifying and implementing innovative strategies to address the need to replace aging infrastructure within the community.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- A Degree or Diploma in Business or Public Administration, or equivalent
- Certified Local Government Manager (CLGM) Certification would be an asset
- Four or more years of senior managerial experience in local government
- An equivalent combination of relevant management and leadership experience from another sector may be considered
- Advanced skills in leadership, decision-making and stakeholder relations
- Demonstrated experience with:
- Financial and Budgeting Processes
- Strategic Planning
- Conflict Resolution
- Capital Works and Infrastructure
- Planning & Development
- Strong management and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work with elected officials, community volunteers, boards/committees, and the general public
- High integrity and respectful of others.
- The ability to achieve effective results in a team setting.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide positive leadership, direction, mentorship, and coaching to the municipal team.
- Ensure operations and budgets align with strategic plans and annual goals.
- Ensure proper financial recording and reporting and budget management consistent with MGA requirements.
- Recommend progressive and responsive policies, procedures, systems, and investments.
- Embrace innovation concurrent with the continuous pursuit of cost and operational efficiencies.
- Work with Council to help set vision and direction.
- Monitor all matters associated with risk, legal, finance, policy, business development, infrastructure, projects, safety, environment, and community.
- Attend Council meetings and other related committee or stakeholder meetings as may be prudent or required.
- Build and develop relationships with community members, industries, governments, organizations, institutions, and other potential stakeholders.
- Maintain current knowledge on relevant legislation e.g. Municipal Government Act and granting avenues /opportunities.
Remuneration is competitive and negotiable and will be commensurate with experience, knowledge and abilities. A comprehensive benefit package, including participation in the Local Authorities Pension Plan, is also provided.
Applicants must be willing to relocate to the Town of Coronation. To learn more about the Town of Coronation as a desirable place to live and work, we encourage you to explore the description of the area on our website at www.town.coronation.ab.ca
Closing Date: This position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected.
Please include a cover letter, resume and three references with your application.
The Town of Coronation appreciates all submissions but advises that only those chosen for an interview will be contacted further.
Send applications marked “CAO Application” to:
Chief Administrative Officer
Town of Coronation
Coronation, Alberta T0C 1C0
Or fax: 403-578-3020
Or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org