This is your opportunity to be the administrative leader of Alberta’s first County, County of Grande Prairie No. 1. Continue the legacy of this active, growing municipality as it leads its region and the province in economic growth and activity. Enjoy the beauty of the ‘big prairie’ and the natural charm of rural living; but benefit from proximity to excellent education and health services. This is an outstanding leadership opportunity for an enterprising manager, who values the chance to lead an organization nominated in two categories as one of Alberta Venture’s Best Workplaces and awarded for its commitment to safety training by the Alberta Municipal Health and Safety Association.
The County of Grande Prairie is currently seeking a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) to provide leadership and strategic direction in achieving its vision of focusing on people, their quality of life, and diversity of opportunity, while enabling success through cooperation and progressive leadership. Reporting to Reeve and Council, the Chief Administrative Officer is responsible for guiding the day-to-day operations of the County as outlined within the terms of the Municipal Government Act and under the general policy direction of the County of Grande Prairie’s Council.
The ideal candidate will deliver energy, innovation and leadership, aimed at strengthening the County by aligning vision and strategy, with operational excellence. A leader in the organization and highly visible in the community, the CAO will ensure the effective and efficient delivery of current and future services, provision of sound advice to Council, and engagement of staff and stakeholders. The successful applicant will be an experienced leader who enjoys challenge and seeks an exciting opportunity to support growth and innovation.
The County of Grande Prairie No. 1, located in northwestern Alberta, is one of the fastest-growing and vibrant economic regions in Canada. This resource-rich area features friendly communities; an array of cultural, recreational, business and educational opportunities; 6,000 square kilometers of vast and dynamic landscape; and an internationally-renowned dinosaur bone-bed and museum. The County of Grande Prairie serves a trade area of over 260,000 people, its diverse economy driven by agriculture, energy, forestry, manufacturing, tourism and commerce. As the first established county in the province, the County of Grande Prairie offers rural appeal and easy access to urban amenities.
The new CAO will possess the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Marketing, or a related discipline;
- Approximately 5 to 10 years relevant experience in a senior management position, preferably in Municipal Government (an equivalent combination of relevant management and leadership experience from another sector may be considered);
- Completion of the Certified Local Government Management Program, National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration, or equivalents are considered an asset.
- Experience in strategic planning, organizational development and achieving results through others;
- Experience coaching leaders and employees, to build individual and organizational capacity;
- Political acumen, with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders and build relationships;
- Skilled communicator with proficiency in negotiation and conflict resolution;
- Results-orientation, with the drive for innovation and excellence;
- Experience in implementing development plans, capital works and infrastructure improvement programs.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. A comprehensive benefits package included.
Please send your resume with cover letter to Christy Ciezki at email@example.com.