The current Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) has announced her intention to retire effective August 30, 2019. To ensure an efficient and effective transition, the selection and appointment of a permanent replacement shall be undertaken by Council, which invites applications from suitably qualified and interested individuals.
The CAO as the administrative head of the Municipality and is responsible for the following:
- overall administration and operation;
- ensuring Council’s strategic plans, goals and objectives are met;
- performance of all duties and functions as required by the Municipal Government Act, the CAO Bylaw and other duties assigned by Council.
The successful candidate will be an innovative leader skilled in communication and collaboration, and building relationships with Council and department heads. Candidate’s background will include the ability to inspire and motivate staff, and possess high levels of efficiency and productivity while dealing with a wide variety of tasks.
The successful candidate will possess the following or its equivalency:
- Certificate in Local Government Management
- Four or more years of senior managerial experience in local government
- An equivalent combination of relevant management and leadership experience from another sector may be considered
- Advanced skills in leadership, decision making and stakeholder relations
- Strong management and interpersonal skills
- High integrity and respect for others
- Ability to:
- Achieve results in a team setting
- Demonstrate experience with financial and budgeting processes, planning and development, capital works and infrastructure, policy and bylaw development, strategic planning and conflict resolution
- Provide positive leadership, direction, and coaching to the municipal team
- Recommend policies, procedures, systems and bylaws
- Work with Council to help set vision and direction
- Monitor all matters associated with risk, legal, financial, insurance, policy, business development, infrastructure, safety, and environment
- Build and develop relationships with community members, industries, governments, organizations, institutions, and other potential stakeholders.
The Municipal District of Willow Creek is located 100 kilometers south of the City of Calgary along the beautiful foothills of the Rocky Mountains. The municipal administration/public works complex is located 5 kilometers west of the Town of Claresholm. There are 5 independent urban communities within the municipal boundaries all boasting various amenities including schools, hospitals, recreational facilities and a full range of services. The Municipal District of Willow Creek has a population of 5170 and a land mass of approximately 1.2 million acres and 2200 kilometers of roads.
Please provide your Curriculum Vitae, complete with references clearly marked “CAO Application, by email, to the Selection Committee by April 1, 2019 at: SelectionCommittee@mdwillowcreek.com
Salary shall be commensurate with experience.
The Selection Committee shall only respond to those shortlisted for an interview.