The CAO is responsible for ongoing improvement in operational efficiency and good governance of the organization acting as a key advisor and strategist for the Summer Villages of Birchcliff, Half Moon Bay, Jarvis Bay, Norglenwold, Sunbreaker Cove, and Councils.
Reporting to Council, the CAO is the administrative head of the municipality who leads the Management Team to establish the strategic direction and coordinated planning of function priorities and program which align with established goals and objectives. Central to this role is the establishment of effective relationships and communication with Councils and staff.
- Is the administrative head of the municipality and is responsible for ensuring the provisions of section 207 and 208 of the Municipal Government Act are carried out and adhered to.
- Is the key advisor and strategist to Council, reporting on strategic priorities.
- Ensures the primary functionality of the municipalities is carried out in such areas as corporate planning, community and public works, financial planning, human resources, policy development and bylaw management.
- Provides executive leadership and strategic direction to the administration team
- Provides coaching, mentoring, support and advice to staff when required.
- Liaises and fosters a positive working relationship with other municipal managers, various government departments and the community.
- Ensures there are protocols in place that provide Councils, staff and the public with timely reports on the administration of the municipality.
- Pursues the most efficient allocation of resources required to address community needs.
- Responsible for the coordination of departmental activities to achieve corporate goals and objectives.
- Responsible for Disaster Services Planning.
- Acts as the F.O.I.P. head for the municipality.
- Must be a positive team-oriented leader with assertive decision-making skills.
- Must always act with the utmost integrity in all municipal and business interactions. Work must be performed in a nonpartisan and confidential manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A demonstrated track record of leadership and senior management experience
- A thorough understanding of the financial and budgeting process
- An ability to work effectively with elected municipal officials, community volunteers, Boards and committees and public participation processes
- Proven HR skills. Ability to work with staff in a positive environment
- A thorough understanding of the legislative process
- Proven experience in strategic planning, organizational development and achieving results in building team relations
- Experience in implementing development plans, capital works and infrastructure improvement programs
- Self-motivated requiring a minimum of supervision
- Ability to deal with staff and the public in an easy and efficient manner
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Skill in several computer software applications is necessary
The ideal candidate will possess a post-secondary education, or a combination of relevant training and senior leadership experience will be considered.
- Minimum of five years (5) years of directly related experience in progressively more responsible positions within a local government setting
- Certified Local Government Manager (CLGM)
- Post-Secondary Education in a related discipline an asset
- National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration Program (NACLAA) Level I and 11 or equivalent
- Experience in Municipal Operation and Management an asset
- Experience in personnel administration an asset
- Municipal accounting experience or certification
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, detailed resume outlining experience, education, qualifications, references and salary expectations in confidence to Summer Village Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Summer Village Administration
Attention: Corinne Newman
Bay 8, 14 Thevenaz Industrial Trail
Sylvan Lake, Alberta T4S 2J5
Closing date: August 19th, 2019 or until suitable candidate is found.