The Town of Beaverlodge is a vibrant, progressive, family-friendly community with a proud history and an exciting future. Beaverlodge is located on Highway 43 just 40 minutes west of the City of Grande Prairie. This community boasts a population of nearly 2,500 and offers all the amenities that appeal to a wide variety of lifestyles including first class health, educational, recreational, arts and cultural facilities.
Beaverlodge’s Town Council is currently seeking a dynamic individual for the role of Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). The ideal candidate must have a proven track record of leadership, financial acumen, political savvy, and the ability to work collaboratively with elected officials, staff, citizens, government, and other community partners.
- The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) reports directly to Council and is the senior administrator for the Town of Beaverlodge providing information, advice, and recommendations to Council on issues that affect the municipality in order to ensure that Council makes informed decisions.
- The CAO represents the municipality as a key contributor for matters involving the province and other municipalities.
- The CAO is a motivational leader who guides a team of Managers overseeing the human, financial, and physical resources of the municipality to ensure that Council’s policies and directives are carried out and exceed the legislated public service needs.
- Recognizes and honours staff as the most valued asset of the organization.
- Demonstrates authentic leadership by providing guidance and support, mentorship and positive role modelling.
- Demonstrates a take charge attitude in order to achieve results.
- Addresses important and difficult issues immediately, which at times may mean taking an unpopular stand.
- Handles conflict and crisis effectively and remains calm under pressure.
- Fosters a safe culture of empowerment and trust.
- Demonstrates empathy and emotional intelligence with the ability to bring diverse individuals, departments and program initiatives together.
- Very open minded and innovative to explore “out of the box” thinking and approaches.
- Understands and interprets social, economic and political trends and issues facing municipalities.
- Has the ability to seek future development and growth for the community.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills.
- Proven record of being able to inspire, direct and evaluate the people and activities of a complex organization.
- Sets objectives through goals which are specific and clearly communicated, measurable, realistically achievable, and time targeted, and holding people accountable for their results.
- Seeks out, appreciates, and acknowledges input from others.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for their actions.
- Values accurate current and past municipal records.
Financial Management, Corporate and Strategic Planning:
- Leads with a strong sense of service, urgency and accountability in all financial planning, budgeting, and management reporting.
- A proven ability to work in challenging fiscal environments.
- Links long-range vision and concepts to daily work.
- Understands business fundamentals and strategies.
- Establishes, builds and maintains strong relationships and a network of contacts to keep a pulse on Town’s political and internal issues and to make informed decisions.
- Relationship builder with strong “business and financial acumen” to assist in economic development and other initiatives.
- Motivation and empowerment of staff.
Strong Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
- Builds trust through clear, concise and positive boundaries and communication.
- Works collaboratively with others and is sensitive to the diverse needs of staff, council and the community.
- Possesses an honest, open and consistent approach to working with people.
- Highly ethical, honest, forthright and transparent.
- High degree of interpersonal skill, tact and diplomacy.
- Innate drive to achieve or surpass identified goals.
- Establishes performance objectives and measures to continuously improve performance and the standard of excellence.
- Honours and celebrates successes.
- Ensures high level of confidentiality at all times.
- Possesses an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions.
- Demonstrates a professional presence.
- Very knowledgeable of provincial and federal legislation and opportunities for the benefit of the Town.
- Confidence in ensuring customer needs are identified and addressed
- Ensures appropriate consultation with stakeholders
- Delivers timely, cost effective and quality service.
- Simplifies often complex and lengthy matters.
- Leads an administration that is service oriented.
- The ability to communicate professionally, respectfully, knowledgeably, and tactfully.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
The CAO will support the Municipality, its Council, staff and residents in realizing the Town’s full potential by providing leadership in the following areas:
- Acts as counsel to the elected Mayor and Council on a wide range of municipal matters and supports the implementation of Council-related priorities within the municipal framework.
- Establishes strategic direction based on Council priorities and continual assessment of the environment and emerging trends, issues and opportunities that may impact the municipality.
- Provides leadership to ensure that all Town policies and programs of the municipality are efficiently coordinated, implemented and delivered in a responsive way consistent with Council-identified priorities.
- Provides mentorship and strategic support to the Management Team to ensure the planned implementation of the corporate strategy is carried out.
- Ensures an effective governance framework which provides appropriate direction and parameters for operational systems, practices and procedures ensuring compliance with legislation, regulations, corporate policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Actively participates and provides counsel as a key member to the Management Team entrusted with confidential information provided at all leadership, Council and public meetings/forums.
- Builds strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders to foster healthy relationships to advance the Town’s objectives of municipal excellence and sustainable intergovernmental relations.
- Attends and participates in local events and functions in the interest of corporate and community relations.
- Responsible for the annual operating and capital budget preparation process. Defines appropriate long-term financial objectives and sets annual goals consistent with the business strategy.
- Effectively communicates and demonstrates the vision and values to all employees. Serves as a role model of these values and creates and builds a culture of trust and integrity throughout the organization.
- Responsible and knowledgeable of the health and safety acts, environmental acts and all associated policies and procedures.
- Actively participate on regional boards and committees.
Education and Experience:
- The ideal candidate is a proven leader, with relevant post-secondary education and senior management experience in either the public or private sectors.
- A minimum of 5 years intermediate/senior management experience, preferably in municipal government.
- A Certified Local Government Managers (CLGM) or Local Government Administration (LGA) designation is desirable, however, other combinations of experience and credentials will also be considered.
- The successful candidate will have highly developed interpersonal, communication, and public relations skills, have demonstrated success in leading progressive administrative teams, and building strong relationships with stakeholders.
- Success in economic development will also be an asset.
- A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits.
- Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those short listed will be contacted.