The Village of Wabamun is located just 20 minutes west of the Town of Stony Plain and 35 minutes west of the City of Edmonton on Highway 16. Our Village is situated on the northern shores of Lake Wabamun, the largest recreational lake in the Edmonton region. The area features an abundance of nature and wildlife to be found among the trees and rolling hills of our natural surroundings and park areas. We take great pleasure and pride in our pleasant lakeside environment and enjoy a multitude of recreational, cultural and leisure activities right out our front door. Home to 682 residents, Wabamun has a diverse business sector and, unique among lakeside communities, provides the services, infrastructure and amenities vital for comfortable living all year round. Water and sewer services, garbage, compost, and recycling pick up along with a K-9 school and fabulous Waterfront Park make Wabamun a great place to raise a family, retire or just kick back and enjoy some of the lake life. Go to Wabamun.ca for more information.
The CAO position requires an individual who can identify, evaluate risks and maintain high levels of efficiency and productivity while developing policies and procedures and make decisions in a timely manner. Reporting to the Mayor and Council, The CAO manages the operating and capital budget, provides strategic direction and monitors contracts and legislation and manages the day to day operations of the municipality including the responsibility for directing, controlling and coordinating the activities of all municipal departments which includes staff, contractors and vendors. Strong leadership skills, logical decision-making, a self-starter and managing office resources are skills required for this role.
As the ideal candidate, you are a proven senior team leader with strong communication skills, as well as strong human resource management and financial management skills. You are comfortable making decisions particularly those that involve complex and/or difficult circumstances. You are comfortable being seen and connected with the community. You are a strategic thinker that can align organizational efforts to efficiently turn the goals identified by Council into results. You demonstrate honesty and integrity and will instill these values in your team. You are an innovative leader who can motivate and inspire your team in working towards a common vision. You have a proven track record in building trust and confidence with elected officials and are able to provide concrete examples of how you achieved this. Your demeanor and attitude are reflective of a positive disposition and outlook. And you have a creative and innovative management style that has produced results and earned the respect of your fellow employees.
The ideal candidate will possess post-secondary education in Business Management, Public Administration or a combination of relevant training and senior leadership experience as seen below to be considered for this position.
- A demonstrated track record of leadership and senior management experience within a dynamic multi-dimensional service organization.
- A thorough understanding of financial systems, budgeting, and the municipal auditing process.
- Perform all functions, duties, and requirements of a Chief Administrative Officer as specified in the Municipal Government Act
- An ability to work effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards, committees and within public participation processes.
- A progressive approach with proven experience in strategic planning, organizational development and achieving results in building team relations.
- Able to practice an open and transparent form of communication (oral and written) to staff, contractors, vendors, ratepayers and Council.
- A strong commitment to the health & safety of employees, contractors, and the general public.
- Experience with FOIP and municipal legal issues
- Understanding of policy and bylaw development
- Computer skills and experience with Word and Excel
- Experience and understanding of municipal Infrastructure
- Experience in development and subdivision permitting
- Successful completion of the Local Authorities Administration program or Land Use Planning program or equivalencies will be considered a definite asset.
A competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package is available and/or contract options will be considered.
The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. References to be made available upon request.
Please submit your cover letter and resume electronically, by regular mail or to the Village office outlining experience, education in key municipal functions, reasons for applying and salary expectations by 12:00 p.m. on Friday, November 22, 2019, to the undersigned.
Mayor Charlene Smylie
5217 – 52 St., Wabamun, Alberta
Box 240, Wabamun, Alberta, T0E 2K0
Email to email@example.com