The Community - Town Of Crossfield
The Town of Crossfield is a small, friendly southern Alberta Town located on highway 2A 43 km north of Calgary and just 7 minutes north of Airdrie. As of the 2019 municipal census, its population is 3,377. The Town's ideal location provides easy access to the Calgary International Airport, all amenities, shopping and travel locations such as Canmore, Banff and the Rocky Mountains. Crossfield has the potential to grow significantly in the next 5 to 10 years. For more information, please visit: www.crossfieldalberta.com
The Role - Chief Administrative Officer
The Town of Crossfield is currently seeking a dynamic, experienced leader to become their Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). Taking direction from town council, this role is responsible for:
- leading, planning and managing operations and programs for the municipality;
- building relationships with government, businesses and other stakeholders;
- attracting business and industry to the municipality, managing anticipated growth;
- building and maintaining a trusting and collaborative culture within the organization;
- strong financial management/leadership;
- focus on recreation
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proven ability to liaise effectively with Council, other elected officials, residents, developers, community groups, and other levels of government, with effective communication, facilitation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Strategic long-term planning skills.
- Thorough understanding of the financial and budgeting process.
- Analytical and transparent ability in preparing reports and compiling information for Council, together with a good knowledge of and proficiency in all related information technology.
- Robust working knowledge of the Municipal Government Act is required, with the ability to guide Council; and the Staff.
- Strong understanding and experience in economic development and planning.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, and to adapt and integrate complex planning policy and program initiatives.
- Proven ability to provide overall leadership for the planning, development, recreation and management of a variety of municipal services and to provide well researched guidance to Council and staff.
- Proven experience in strategic planning, organizational development and achieving results in building team relations and an ability to lead, coach and motivate staff and achieve positive results.
- Strong focus on quality of life and recreational services.
- The ability to see municipal services from a regional perspective and to develop and foster shared services and partnerships with other municipalities where appropriate.
- The ability to develop a strong presence and involvement in the community and collaborate with other community partners, industry, and government in attracting and fostering economic development.
- Proven success in maintaining credible and authentic relationships with external stakeholder groups including community leaders, citizens, and businesses.
The CAO will have:
- Post-secondary education, ongoing professional development and a CLGM designation is preferred.
- Municipal sector experience, with a minimum of 5 years as CAO and/or senior level management experience (Director/General Manager) is preferred.
- A combination of municipal experience and leadership roles in other complex sectors will also be considered.
The successful applicant will bring the following attributes to the role:
Leadership Skills – Demonstrates honesty and integrity through their leadership style, giving guidance and support, acting as a mentor and positive role model. Fosters a safe culture of empowerment and trust, encouraging employee engagement. Leads by example with an engaging style. Works respectfully with others, with the ability to adapt. ( i.e. working with council, internal staff and the community).
Management Skills – Proven record of being able to inspire, direct and evaluate people and activities of a complex organization. Excellent conflict resolutions skills. Sets objectives which are specific and clearly communicated, measurable, realistically achievable, and time targeted, and holding people accountable for their results. A collaborator who seeks out, appreciates, and acknowledges input from others.
Visionary – Understands and interprets social, economic and political trends and issues facing municipalities. Innovative, open -minded and willing to explore new ideas and approaches.
Human Resource Management – Supportive leader who demonstrates empathy and emotional intelligence with the ability to bring diverse individuals, departments and program initiatives together. Consensus builder with excellent conflict resolution skills. Ability to balance directing staff and trusting their judgement and actions.
Financial Management, Corporate and Strategic Planning – Leads with a strong sense of service, urgency and accountability in all financial planning, budgeting, and management reporting. A proven ability to work in challenging fiscal environments. Strong business and financial acumen to assist in economic development, recreation opportunities and other initiatives related to Crossfield’s anticipated growth.
Strong Communication and Interpersonal Skills – Builds trust through clear, concise and positive communication. Relationship builder who works collaboratively with others and is sensitive to diverse needs of staff, council and the community. Possesses an honest, open and consistent approach to working with people. Highly ethical, forthright and transparent.
Politically Astute – Ensures high level of confidentiality and decorum at all times. Possesses an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions. Demonstrates a senior executive personal style with professional presence.
Customer Service – Confidence in ensuring customer needs are identified and addressed; ensuring appropriate consultation with all stakeholders and deliver timely, cost effective and quality service. Simplifies often complex and lengthy matters and runs an administration that is service oriented.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.