Turner Valley is a picturesque community of 2,559 people, located just 30 minutes southwest of Calgary. A great place to live, we are close enough commute to Okotoks or Calgary but far enough away to be immersed in a less stressful rural environment. The combination of affordable housing, quality medical care, educational, recreational, and wide-open spaces make Turner Valley an ideal location to live and work.
Due to the current amalgamation process Turner Valley and Black Diamond have embarked on this is a term position through December 31, 2022. Depending on the outcome of the process the selected individual would be well positioned to apply for the amalgamated CAO position or to continue working in the position with the Town of Turner Valley.
The candidate’s primary responsibility is to assist Council with their governance role by advising, informing, and recommending action, and ensuring that Council’s direction is implemented. Maintaining effective relationships with a variety of internal and external groups, including assisting Council through the current process regarding the potential amalgamation of Turner Valley and Black Diamond. Also important is the ability to work closely with a senior management team to oversee the organizational planning and priority setting processes, including annual and multi-year strategic and financial planning.
The ideal will possess the following competencies:
- Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with major course work in public administration, business administration, or other similar recognized certification, demonstrating proficiency in municipal management.
- Certified Local Government Managers (CLGM) Designation or National Advanced Certificate in Local Government Administration is preferred.
- An equivalent combination of relevant management experience from another sector may be considered.
- 5-10 years’ demonstrated experience in a leadership role for a Municipality of comparable complexity and diversity.
- Experience working with a council or board of directors.
- Experience or ability to read and interpret government legislation including the Alberta Municipal Government Act and Alberta Environmental regulations.
- Executive leadership experience with a proven track record of performance.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver complex projects on schedule by managing priorities within the organization and clearly articulating capabilities and capacities at the council level.
- Proficiency in public relations techniques, facilitation, mediation, and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining relationships with external stakeholders.
- Track record of supporting and developing an environment of learning and growth (i.e., coaching, mentoring, developing, and supporting employees)
The Town of Turner Valley offers competitive salary and benefits package. Competition for this position will remain open until March 12, 2021.
Those interested in applying for this position are invited to send their resumes to:
Attention: Chief Administrative Officer Review Committee
Mail: Box 330, Turner Valley, AB T0L 2A0