Chief Financial Officer
Financial and Strategic Management
Competition number: 150-2021-EXT-EXE
Closing date: 05/24/2021
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Department: Financial and Strategic Management
Pay range: $96.19 to $120.25 per hour ($175,066 to $218,855 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Exciting executive leadership opportunity to lead the fiscal and financial framework of Strathcona County and make a difference to our Community!
The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for establishing and managing the fiscal and financial framework for the County from a strategic and operational perspective. As a member of the Executive Team, this key senior leadership role establishes strategic direction and alignment to support Strathcona County’s Vision and Strategic Plan and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service. The Chief Financial Officer oversees all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization and advises, influences, and informs the Chief Commissioner and Council of the operations, affairs, and direction of the financial function within the organization. This role provides organization-wide leadership of the financial function and guides the departments in the Financial and Strategic Management division to collaborate in providing excellence in programs and services to support the organization.
The Financial and Strategic Management Division includes Corporate Finance, Corporate Planning, Assessment & Tax departments; Procurement and Services Branch and the Strathcona County Business Transformation Project.
- Develop and lead effective processes to the development of the Corporate Strategic plan in consultation with Council and the development of the Corporate Business Plan with senior leadership
- Develop and lead an integrated process to effectively utilize the Strategic Plan and Corporate Business Plan to define organizational priorities and build the budget to deliver on the priorities
- Provide leadership in fiscal management to enable achievement of County priorities while remaining fiscally responsible and taking a long term strategic financial view.
- Provide executive sponsorship and leadership to the final stages of the Strathcona County Business Transformation Project to achieve desired outcomes in people, process and technology to support the core functions of Finance, Human Resources, Supply Chain. Scope of the project also includes Utility Billing and Assessment and Tax functions.
- Provide expertise, guidance, and recommendations to the Chief Commissioner, Council, and organizational leaders in all aspects of fiscal planning and management and strategic financial services including design, implementation and evaluation of policies, programs, and services
- Provide excellence in personal leadership that establishes and maintains a highly engaged and effective team across the Division and the County
- Ensure widespread consultation, collaboration, and partnership with all Departments to provide frameworks and policies which effectively meet the organization’s needs
- Foster effective relationships with Council, Executive Team, Division staff, other County departments and stakeholders
- Provide Effective Leadership in delivering the programs and services within the Division
- Ensure the Division and respective departments deliver effective and efficient customer services within its mandate for program delivery
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify, implement, maintain and update financial systems to meet the County’s current and future business needs
- Manage and/or oversee relationships with outside providers to ensure value for the County’s investments
- Establish mechanisms to measure, monitor and report performance outcomes in the delivery of Financial and Strategic Management Division services (quality, financial, productivity, continuous improvement, employee engagement)
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Minimum of a university degree in accounting, finance, business, public administration, or a related field along with a professional accounting designation like a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- Ten or more years of senior level management experience in a complex service delivery organization with a positive, and successful career track record of progressively more senior positions
- Proven strategic leadership in fiscal and financial management, planning, policies, and systems
- Strong leadership experience in a public sector organization, preferably in a municipal organization, along with an extensive background and experience in planning, policies, and systems
- Positive record of working effectively with elected officials, community volunteers, boards and committees
Knowledge and skills:
- Extensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and Public Sector Accounting Board standards, long-range planning, and financial analysis
- In depth knowledge of the Municipal Government Act and other legislation applicable to municipal government
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to create, support and lead by example to build a high-performance team and a positive work environment; collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, and garner commitment
- Customer satisfaction through proactive and knowledgeable actions that go the “extra mile: while effectively managing customer expectations in context of the County’s priorities, policies and service delivery standards
- Effectively build relationships with stakeholders; flexible, collaborative and diplomatic with well-developed negotiation skills
- Understand legislative and regulatory processes and have an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions
- Ability to develop and execute strategy, develop, and implement innovative programs, procedures, services, and policies that address emerging needs and operational priorities
- Ability to assess complex and sensitive situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks and make complex decisions that are in the best interests of the department and the organization
To apply, please click the link
In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume. The successful candidate will be required to submit a satisfactory criminal record check.
Competition #150-2021-EXT-EXE closes May 24, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.