The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves its residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. We are a vibrant city about 11 km west of Edmonton, offering housing options for everyone, excellent schools, sports, culture and recreation facilities and a mix of businesses ranging from national retailers, shops, locally owned and chain restaurants and professional services.
Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
This CFO is responsible to provide leadership in the delivery of financial management for the City by developing a financial strategy, long term financial plan, and related metrics that are aligned with the corporate strategies and objectives. The position also needs to ensure the on-going development and monitoring of the financial management system, the preservation and stewardship of the City's assets, and timely reporting of complete and accurate financial plans and reports. This position reports to the General Manager of Corporate Services.
- Provide expertise in evaluation and impact of long term planning, introduction of new programs and initiatives and regulatory action from a financial strategy perspective.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement, and enforce policies and procedures for the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness.
- Plan, measure, implement, manage, and control all municipal financial-related functions.
- Implement finance policies, procedures and processes.
- Support senior management on significant financial decisions.
- Ensure the Finance section provides timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports, and financial trends to assist the City Council, City Manager, and other senior managers in performing their responsibilities.
- Provide technical financial advice and knowledge to others within the financial discipline, and ensure alignment with the corporate direction.
- Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position.
- Facilitate multi-disciplinary work groups, convene and arrange meetings, coordinate communication, motivate, and facilitate discussion and consensus with respect to the Finance section and corporate mandates.
- Provide research, analysis, and briefing support to Council and administration dealing with issues as they relate to the Finance section.
- Manage effectively, the operating and capital budgets for the section, including external contracted services.
- Prepare, in consultation with other sections and/or departments, operating and capital initiatives for submission to the corporate plan
- Participate in and contribute to organization wide corporate planning.
- Influence strategic and business objectives including mitigating financial risks, minimizing liabilities and stewarding assets to ensure short and long term implications, opportunities and risks are fully considered, in alignment with financial strategy, environmental and public interest.
- Identify major departmental issues, opportunities, policies or programs that require review and / or enhancement and recommend appropriate studies or reviews to the General Manager of Corporate Services.
- Lead the analysis of operational work processes on a section level and make changes to improve the workflow and service delivery provided by the Finance section.
- Propose both short term and long term action plans for change and processes for change management to the General Manager of Corporate Services.
- Participate as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Ensure leadership aligns with the City's strategic and corporate plans as well as values and guiding principles.
- Provide a high level of coaching, training, and mentoring to section staff in the achievement of their goals and projects on an ongoing basis as well as through the performance management process.
- Manage the daily operations of the Finance Section, setting goals and expectations for the team, making decisions regarding staffing matters, stressing the importance of teamwork, ensuring the overall efficiency of the services provided by the team as a whole.
- Provide the leadership to ensure the efficient and effective ongoing operation of the enterprise-wide programs and services provided by the section as well as continual enhancements to the programs and their processes.
- Receive and investigate complaints or concerns relative to the delivery of section services and ensure appropriate information is provided or appropriate action taken.
- Respond to customer concerns and complaints using tact and understanding.
- Champion continual improvement of the financial budgeting process through education of managers on financial matters impacting their budgets.
- Communicate pro-actively by ensuring effective briefings, presentations, reporting and interpretation of financial information are provided to internal and external stakeholders i.e. City Council, management, staff, residents and business community.
- Prepare and deliver presentations, position statements and information sessions for staff, stakeholder groups and Council to facilitate discussion of policies and initiatives, solicit feedback on proposed options and initiatives.
- Provide reference and complex research services to the public, administration, and elected officials regarding policies, resolutions and other Council records.
- Represent the City on inter-governmental and professional organizations.
The successful candidate will have:
- Post-secondary Degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent.
- Fifteen (15) to seventeen (17) years of related experience which includes five (5) years’ experience in a public accounting firm and five (5) years leadership experience.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) required.
- Leadership Development Program Certificate or equivalent an asset.
- CPA Public Sector Financial Reporting and Accounting course or equivalent an asset.
Salary Range: $131,240 to $162,120.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org for more information and to apply online.