The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
The incumbent thinks and acts strategically by anticipating the holistic financial needs of the organization and developing and implementing innovative options and strategies to the organization’s leaders and other relevant stakeholders. The Chief Financial Officer is a trusted and respected key advisor for financial, strategic, and supervisory management. This position reports to the General Manager of Corporate Services.
A key contributing member of the organization’s leadership group, The Chief Financial Officer, is a dynamic and innovative individual who is responsible for leading in the delivery of financial management for the City of Spruce Grove. This will be achieved by:
- Developing financial strategies, long term financial plans, and related metrics that are aligned with the corporate strategies and objectives;
- Ensuring the on-going development and monitoring of the City’s financial management system;
- Maintaining the preservation and stewardship of the City’s assets, and timely reporting of complete and accurate financial plans and reports; and
- Leading out with organization colleagues and peers to ensure effective financial controls, planning and reporting strategies are employed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Post-secondary Degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent.
- Minimum Fifteen (15) years of related experience including minimum five (5) years’ progressive experience in municipal accounting (management and financial) and minimum (5) years mid to senior level leadership and supervisory experience (Equivalencies for the number of years of experience combined with education will be considered).
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) required.
- Leadership Development Program Certificate or equivalent an asset.
- CPA Public Sector Financial Reporting and Accounting course or equivalent an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to Influence strategic and business objectives including mitigating financial risks, minimizing liabilities and stewarding assets to ensure short and long term implications, opportunities and risks are fully considered, in alignment with financial strategy, environmental, and public interest.
- Strong experience in leading out and building capacity to conduct analysis of operational work processes at the team level and effect continuous improvement to improve the workflow and service delivery provided by the Finance Department.
- Demonstrated leadership experience that illustrates alignment with the City’s strategic and corporate plans as well as the Organization Values.
- Strong experience in providing coaching, training, and mentoring of staff in the achievement of their goals and projects on an ongoing basis as well as through the performance planning process.
- Demonstrated experience in leading out across organizations to ensure continual improvement of the financial budgeting process through education of various leadership levels on financial matters impacting their budgets.
If you are a professional who:
- Seeks a challenge and is keen to demonstrate your leadership capabilities in an innovative and dynamic environment,
- Understands and lives the value of what a true business partner and leader can enable, and
- Wants to make a difference in the ‘Community of Choice’.
……then we want to hear from you!
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org to view the full position description and to apply online.