The Town of Crossfield seeks a high energy, dynamic leader to assume the role of Chief of Staff / Deputy CAO.
This is a highly responsible professional administrative position in partnership with the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO.) The position includes oversight and direction of several Town departments. The mix of oversight responsibilities will match the experience and skill set of the successful applicant.
Reporting to the CAO, the Chief of Staff/ Deputy CAO supports the CAO relating to the development and implementation of policies and strategies addressing the unique qualities and needs of the Town of Crossfield.
As a senior leader of the organization, the incumbent provides forward-thinking leadership as well as technical and managerial expertise to guide the organization in delivering the programs and services identified by council. The scope of work offers wide latitude for independent judgment and action under the overall direction of the CAO. The successful candidate must respect the confidentiality of Town affairs at all times.
- Works closely with departmental managers to ensure a commitment to a high level of public service in the delivery of the goals and priorities as set by council.
- Develops and fosters close-working relations with various external government agencies, developers, consultants and associated professional groups.
- Deals with the public with integrity, professionalism and courtesy.
- As a member of the senior leadership team for the Town of Crossfield, the Chief of Staff assists in setting the priorities for all assigned departments.
- Assists in providing the strategic framework to support the organization in meeting the goals of council.
- Acts as a positive role model for all employees throughout the organization in the provision of excellent service to our citizens.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Provides leadership and accountability in achieving the goals and objectives of Town council.
- Assists the CAO in the direction and co-ordination of Town affairs.
- Ensures there is a proactive and shared customer focus to communicate and address Town council's policies effectively.
- Acts as the chief advisor to the CAO and provides such information and reports as required to make effective policy decisions or as required by council.
- Assumes control and direction of assigned employees of the Town, subject to any approved personnel policies.
- Attends council meetings as required.
- Acts as ex officio member of all committees created by council pertaining to assigned departments.
- Ensures the effective and economical operation of all assigned departments. Assures responsible utilization of resources in accordance with sound management practices, administrative guidelines and regulations.
- Provides effective supervision of all assigned department heads through leadership and via an effective management team.
- Assists in the preparation of the Town’s annual operating and capital budgets for presentation to council.
- Maintains positive public relations in dealing with members of the community, respecting inquiries and complaints, and in the general conduct of Town business.
- Discharges other duties, responsibilities and functions as may be assigned from time to time by the CAO.
- Leads special initiatives as instructed by the CAO.
- Represents the CAO in the absence of, or at the direction of, the CAO.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of public administration as related to municipal operations and affairs, including the basic principles of organization and budget preparation.
- Strong political acumen and respect for the partnership between administrative staff and council.
- Ability to take direction from the CAO.
- Strong organizational, leadership and conflict-resolution skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of corporate budgeting principles and the ability to apply financial and budgetary skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with strong writing, presentation and listening skills that promote understanding and clarity in a respectful manner.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to analyze a variety of administrative problems, to make recommendations as to their solution and to prepare working procedures.
- Strong leadership skills and a demonstrated ability to build effective teams and to delegate authority to subordinates.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with municipal officials, employees, other levels of government, community groups and the general public.
- Strong knowledge of labour management principles and related legal requirements.
- Ability to function effectively in a diverse and fast paced work environment with challenging and often competing priorities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A post-secondary degree in public administration or a related field from a recognized college or university is a definite asset.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience working in municipal government in a key senior leadership role.
- Extensive experience in the administration of major programs or projects.
- A strong commitment to ongoing professional development.
- A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency and advanced knowledge in the use of MS Office.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
The Town offers an aggressive compensation package including the Local Authorities Pension Plan, an outstanding benefits plan, as well as strong educational and quality of life support. The Salary range for this positiion is $84,282 to $122,263
Compensation will be appropriate for the skill set and experience of the applicant and may include, as required, relocation expense assistance.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a permanent, long-term, position based on 35 hours per week, with occasional evening meetings and responsibilities.
Please respond with a detailed resume, references and cover letter to:
Kenneth Bosman, CAO
with the header “Chief of Staff Application – LASTNAME_Firstname” in your email.
Creativity is encouraged in your application.
The initial screening criteria will be the content and presentation of your cover letter – ideally no more than 750 words in length – which demonstrates the desire, skill sets and career preparation for this dynamic, long-term leadership role.