The Town of Ponoka is seeking a permanent full-time Communications and Marketing Specialist to provide communications and marketing expertise for the Town.
Nestled in the beautiful Battle River Valley, the Town of Ponoka is a thriving and welcoming community. We are centrally located along the Highway 2 corridor, just 45 minutes south of the Edmonton International Airport. Home to more than 7,000 people, Ponoka is a growing community that offers many urban amenities and affordable, quality living all in a picturesque, rural setting. Ponoka boasts about 10 km of paved walking trails that wind along the banks of the Battle River – the perfect escape for a morning or afternoon jog surrounded by nature. Ponoka is the proud home of the Ponoka Stampede, Canada’s largest seven-day pro rodeo. We are also home to the internationally-recognized Centennial Centre for Mental Health and Brain Injury, a state-of-the-art treatment and rehabilitation centre for people with mental illness, addiction and brain injury.
The Town of Ponoka employs about 80 full-time and casual staff who are committed to providing quality services and responsive customer service to our citizens.
Under the direction of the Communications Manager, the Communications and Marketing Specialist will play a key role in helping to plan, develop and implement communications and marketing strategies and initiatives on behalf of the Town of Ponoka to support objectives in Town Council’s Strategic Plan and the Town’s Economic Development Strategy. This position provides communications and marketing advice, expertise, support and coordination to all Town Departments, as well as Council Committees and other community stakeholder groups as needed, on priority projects and initiatives. This includes assisting with the planning, promotion and execution of public engagement initiatives, the Town’s Annual Report to the Community, and other communications and marketing projects and campaigns.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Contribute to and oversee the design, written and visual content and monitoring of the Town’s social media pages and website, keeping content updated and aligned with the Town’s brand and corporate image;
- Develop written and visual communications and marketing materials including news releases, advertisements, speeches, backgrounders, reports, event display and web materials, publications, editorial content, and photography and video production;
- Act as a media contact for the Town and provide coaching and media relations support for designated spokespeople;
- Attend occasional meetings and events, and provide communications support in response to emergency situations in the evening and on weekends occasionally as needed; and
- Perform the duties of the Public Information Officer under the Emergency Response Plan when required;
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- 3-5 years’ experience working in a Communications and/or Marketing Specialist role (or a similar role). Experience in municipal government is considered an asset but not required;
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, communications, public relations or a related area of study. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered;
- Working knowledge of graphic design principles and proficient with Adobe Creative Suite programs, particularly InDesign is considered an asset;
- Superior writing, editing, proofreading, research and public speaking skills;
- Knowledge of CP Style;
- Strong work ethic and ability to work independently using initiative to complete projects and prioritize duties and workload efficiently. Ability to work in a multi-task, multi-deadline environment;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) and the ability to independently create and edit a variety of documents and spreadsheets;
- Strong project management skills and knowledge of project management methodologies and tools;
- Class 5 driver’s license with a satisfactory driver’s abstract; and
- Able to provide a satisfactory criminal record check.
The Town offers an excellent benefit package. Based on a 35-hour work week, the salary range for this position is $61,625-80,535/year. Salary is negotiable within this range based on experience and qualifications. Regular hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Evening and weekend work is required on occasion.
A more detailed position description is available upon request.
Interested parties are requested to submit their resume and cover letter through the Town of Ponoka website Careers page: https://www.ponoka.ca/careers.
Competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
The Town of Ponoka thanks all applicants in advance, however, only those being considered will be contacted.