Reporting to the Senior Director, Marketing and Communications, the Communications Manager is responsible for developing and implementing communication strategies for internal and external audiences; writing concise, plain-language articles, fact sheets, news releases and social media; coordinating media relations; managing content on AUMA’s website; and editing materials written by staff.
Education and Skills
- Communications or Public Relations Degree or Diploma or related combination of experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of directly related experience.
- Experience in municipal, provincial or federal government is an asset.
Skills and Attributes
- Proven ability to develop and lead communications strategies with enthusiasm and energy.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an eye for detail.
- Ability to edit documents written by others.
- Ability to distill large quantities of information and write succinct and clear materials (articles, news releases, web content, tweets etc.).
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, graphics software, and various web-based services) and ability to develop creative and engaging presentations.
- High proficiency in all social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn for marketing & communications purposes.
- Experience in website planning and managing website content.
- Experience in media relations and issues management.
- Results driven and highly organized with the ability to manage multiple projects and diverse work activities.
- Strong interpersonal and consultative skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment with minimal supervision, to a deadline and under pressure.
- Sound judgement and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of how the different levels of government work.
- Develops, implements, and monitors communication strategies and plans for internal and external audiences.
- Identifies and recommends actions on emerging issues. • Provides input into annual federal and provincial advocacy strategies.
- Provides communication advice to management and staff.
- Provides input on communications policies and procedures.
Writing and Editing
- Promotes a plain-language writing style for the organization through correspondence and coaching staff in their writing approaches and skills.
- Creates or edits articles for regular internal and external newsletters and oversees their publication & dissemination.
- Prepares or edits speeches and presentations for President, Board members, the CEO, and management team.
- Edits and formats marketing copy, as needed.
- Assists in development of Year in Review and plays a key role in planning and development of organization’s Annual Report.
- Liaises with communication departments in the provincial and federal government to obtain or provide information.
- Drafts internal communication for the CEO and management team regarding key achievements, change management, and organizational culture.
- Coordinates the monthly staff newsletter (@AUMA).
- Provides assistance to the policy and advocacy staff during peak periods by writing letters, undertaking basic research, and completing other tasks needed for successful advancement of AUMA projects.
- Supports communications, media, and other elements of key member events such as AUMA’s Annual Convention and Municipal Leaders’ Caucuses.
- Assists webmaster in planning the structure and adding, editing, and removing content as well as formatting changes to the site’s layout when needed.
- Reviews uptake on communications activities and adjusts communications materials as needed.
- Assists in development of content for the AUMA website.. Media Relations
- Proactively secures opportunities to profile AUMA’s policy and advocacy positions in print or radio media.
- Prepares briefing notes and speaking points/key messages to respond to media inquiries and attends interviews and events with AUMA’s spokesperson.
- Coaches AUMA’s spokesperson and/or coordinates external training in media relations.
- Prepares and issues news releases, op eds.
- Prepares, issues, and monitors social media material.
- Leads media monitoring/news clipping service.
- Assist Senior Director, Marketing & Communication in building close relationships with key news media.
- Support the Event Coordinator in preparation and execution of AUMA events when needed.
- Support for the Marketing Coordinator in preparation and execution of marketing plans when needed.
In addition to a competitive salary, AUMA also provides and exceptional benefits plan and a defined benefit pension as part of the total compensation package.
To apply for this position, please submit you resume to Jeff Simpson, Senior Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Selection of people to perform this position is based on matching their knowledge, skills, competencies, and behaviours to the work to be performed so that the best qualified candidates are chosen. AUMA is committed to employment practices that are unbiased with regard to equal opportunity of employment. AUMA makes every effort to be in compliance with the Alberta Human Rights Legislation.