Located in Northwest Alberta, the Municipal District of Greenview is a vast and diverse area rich in oil and gas, fertile farmland, and mixed wood forests. As the third-largest rural municipality in Alberta, Greenview boasts diversity in economic activities and an extraordinary landscape. Greenview’s economy is strengthened by its diversity, a talented workforce and an entrepreneurial spirit that is second to none. Our residents experience adventure right in their backyards with lakes, rivers, Rocky Mountain peaks and vast prairie offering a year-round outdoor playground for all ages.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the CAO, the Communications & Marketing Manager, provides leadership, co-ordination, collaboration, and direction to ensure that marketing and communication services are provided to senior management, employees, residents and stakeholders in a timely, accurate, effective and efficient manner.
The Communications & Marketing Manager:
- Participates in high level, strategic planning, identifies budget requirements and manages the issues and concerns in messaging and general communications
- Be responsible and accountable for the development, implementation, and management of communications plan, policies and strategies to achieve corporate and departmental objectives. Manage three full time staff located, this position is ideal for a seasoned professional with extensive management experience
- Provides leadership, co-ordination, collaboration and direction to communication advisors, the corporate webmaster and the graphic designer
While contributing at the senior management level to the Municipal District’s strategic direction, values and vision, the Communications Manager will perform the following duties:
- Display a professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to employees, business, and residents of Greenview
- Facilitate in-house document review, preparation, editing, and re-writing, as required, to ensure consistent messaging/branding of promotional and other materials
- Establish and maintain a high level of department performance through effective recruitment mentoring and coaching employees on performance and performance management
- Plan, develop, and implement internal and external communications strategies to effectively promote the goals, objectives, and accomplishments of the County; to mitigate the impacts of potentially controversial issues; and to keep employees apprised of events happening within the Municipality
- Promote, build and support employees' professional development, expertise, performance, onboarding, and succession planning within the Communications department
- Conduct probationary and annual performance reviews and on-going feedback and coaching with HR support
- Develop and monitor the department budget that provides for flexible, effective, efficient, and cost effective services
- Participate in the updating and/or implementation of policies, procedures, guidelines or protocols
- Make recommendations regarding operating budget, workload, employee resources, and minor capital purchases
- Participate in and manage projects as required
- Oversee staff that regularly attend scheduled meetings of Council and committees.
- Facilitate continuous quality improvement, changes, and responsiveness to service increases, changes or decreases
- Liaise with members of intradepartmental committees involved in joint projects and initiatives.
- Act in a professional and responsible manner to protect the integrity of employees and the business of Greenview
- Provide employees with adequate resources and work procedure training
- Deliver strategic and comprehensive communications support in all priority areas, including key corporate business plan goals and cross-departmental priorities
- Function as Greenview’s primary media liaison, co-ordinate media events, releases, and interviews
- Proactively identify issues through the department's media monitoring function and subsequent development of strategies to mitigate potentially controversial issues
- Assist with the preparation and dissemination of external communications
- Oversee the selection of mediums in which Greenview advertises, promotes and messages the communication and information of the organization
- Oversee the selection, purchase and management of effective promotional materials
- Manage the corporate image including media management, design standards and corporate messaging
- Development, implementation, and maintenance of strategic communications plans, websites and social media communications channels including Facebook and Twitter
- Assess communications programs, report findings and recommend improvements
- Initiate, promote and encourage effective internal and external communication strategies and practices
- Ensure website is maintained and updated on timely basis
- Writes and edits content for the web and communications pieces, including E-Newsletter, brochures, advertisements, etc
- Development, editing, and publishing of news releases, articles, editorials, publications, newsletters, and other written communications
- Coordination of corporate events including the golf tournament, staff BBQ, Christmas party, ratepayer BBQ’s, public meetings, conferences and workshops
- Stay current with technological advances
- Assist in the provision of general information to the public and other media, to keep Ratepayers apprised of the events happening within the Municipality and promote opportunities for them to participate and / or submit feedback to Council and employees
- Assists in the provision of information to employees, to keep employees apprised of inter- departmental events and promote opportunities for them to participate and/or submit feedback accordingly
- Leads the design, development and execution of innovative marketing campaigns
- Develop and maintain a record of potential items for promotion, and utilize reverse scheduling to plan their release to media and/or publication in internal and / or external publications
- Provide technical assistance with consistent branding to ensure the professional presentation of written documentation, advertising, and other promotional / marketing materials
- Media management and monitoring
- Analytics of social media, Live Stream, Media etc
- Oversee the planning, coordination and execution of news conferences and other media events
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness and precision
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Communications, Public Relations or a related discipline
- A minimum of 5 years of in Communications at a Senior Management Level within Municipal framework is preferred
- Requires demonstrated leadership skills, team building, conflict resolution, business/technical writing skills and coaching, mentoring, organizational, problem solving and decision making abilities
- Well-developed communication and interpretation skills, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access)
- Working knowledge of layout and design including working with Adobe Creative Suite, various web management and social media platforms
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and PowerPoint
- Proficiency with social media including Facebook, Twitter, WordPress and Web content
- Ability and interest to stay current with new technologies and technological advances
- Excellent writing, verbal and analytical communications skills
- Excellent editing skills
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Ability to interact well with, and respond to inquiries from all levels of staff, including Management, Council and Ratepayers
- Ability to develop and nurture productive business relationships with internal and external partners; work collaboratively to resolve problems
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures
- Knowledge of the MGA and other legislative and procedural requirements is an asset
- Working knowledge of Adobe, including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Extensive use of computers and telephone.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Use and operation of a vehicle.
- Normal working day consists of 7.5 hours; however occasional overtime may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at the Municipal District of Greenview are governed by the Municipal District Health & Safety Policy.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with Municipal District Policies and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Interested candidates may submit cover letter and resume by 27th May 2019, in one of the following ways:
Mail or Drop Off: Municipal District of Greenview No. 16
4806 – 36 Ave., Box 1079, Valleyview, Alberta T0H 3N0
By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org