Communications Officer – Temporary Maternity Leave Coverage
March 1, 2021 – September 1, 2022
Wage Range $39.59 – 47.28/hour (35 hours/week)
Under the direction of the Director of Corporate Services, the Communications Officer plans, develops, and implements communication programs and strategies to inform residents and staff, and promote participation in local government on behalf of the Town of Sylvan Lake. Provides expert advice and assistance regarding issues management, communications advice, and support to Town Council, the CAO and Town Senior Administration in enhancing and protecting the positive image of the Town of Sylvan Lake
SUMMARY OF FUNCTION
- Enhance and protect the image of the Town through initiation, development and delivery of appropriate communications strategies and message development.
- Assist the Town to maintain positive relations with key stakeholders. Ensure the Town’s communications outcomes are viewed as favorable by Council and ratepayers.
- As the primary media contact for the Town, establish and maintain relationships with media to provide positive assistance and communications.
- Manage and implement the Town’s Corporate Communications Strategy, and create and execute comprehensive communications plans to support the Town’s strategic priorities and initiatives.
- Coordinate or assist in Mayor and Council’s involvement in public events, media relations and publicity.
- Attend appropriate evening meetings of Council to maintain awareness of items and issues before Council and provide advice and information on communications.
- Identify, define and articulate communication guidelines and policies for the corporation, including appropriate use of corporate brand.
- Engage the public through a number of various and creative means, developing and creating policies and procedures for public participation.
- Assist as required in the development of content for successful marketing of the community to prospective residents, businesses and visitors.
- Oversees the creation and maintenance of Town communications vehicles, ensuring communication are consistent with strategic goals and the Town brand; also capable of identifying new trends for communication.
- Act as the Public Information Officer in the event of an Emergency. Ensure proper training to manage emergency and disaster situations in accordance with the Town’s Emergency Management Plan.
- Oversees the Town website and social media policies and procedures. Updates and manages the content of the Town’s website and social media, as well as manage and approve any and all forms of online content or services intended for the public.
- Prepare and coordinate the development of print material including publications, advertising, and notices, media releases for the Town, work with staff to ensure that timelines and deadlines and printing standards are met. Includes overseeing the weekly advertising in the local newspaper.
- Prepares and administers the budget for the overall communications programs and materials.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Post-secondary education in communications, Public Relations, marketing, or a related field
- Minimum Five years’ relevant experience in corporate communications preferably in a public sector/municipal organization
- Familiarity with FOIP and MGA are preferred
- Experience with drafting, management, and promotion of a budget
- Minimum Class 5 Driver’s License, Criminal Records Check as deemed acceptable by The Town
- CPRS or IABC membership preferred
- Well-developed interpersonal, public speaking and media relations skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills and high proficiency in relevant computer applications are required
- Attention to detail and solid communication, technology, organizational and analytical skills
- High ability to deal diplomatically and tactfully with sensitive and potentially provocative situations and/or information
- Strong initiative and leadership qualities are required
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising quality of work
- Highly developed problem solving and research skills
- Ability to plan, develop, coordinate, implement and evaluate promotional, public relations, educational and participation programs, events and strategies
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques relating to public relations and educational programs, especially as it relates to governmental agencies and organizations
- High degree in flexibility of hours due to attending after hours’ council meetings, off hour promotional events and Town activities
- The ability to adapt to an ever-changing environment
- The ability to work in both fast and slow-paced work environments
- Team player that also must be able to work individually as the sole provider of corporate communication for the municipality
This is a terrific opportunity to work in a professional, team focused environment. You have a strong desire to be a major contributor to the success of a vibrant and growing organization. If you are up to the challenge of taking ownership and wanting to make a difference, this is an ideal situation. We offer competitive rates, a team focused environment and an excellent work/life balance situation.
If this position intrigues you, please submit your resume in confidence specifying which position you are applying for, prior to January 17, 2021, to:
Town of Sylvan Lake
5012 – 48 Avenue, Sylvan Lake, AB T4S 1G6
Attention: Human Resources
F 403 887 3660