Wanted: A Strong Cultural Fit
And Corporate Services Manager
Certain blood types are incompatible with others. Before performing a transfusion, doctors must ensure that both donor and patient are a match. If not, the results could be disastrous.
What’s our point?
Workplace culture functions much in the same way. If your professional values and disposition don’t match our cultural imperatives and we hire you anyway, we would be setting both you and our organization up for disappointment. Your skills, abilities, education and experience – as important as those things are – won’t make you successful here if our work cultures don’t match.
What’s OUR culture type?
We’re building a culture driven by:
- Open Dialogue
We want a culture where the phrase “can I ask a stupid question?” isn’t a stupid question at all, where “there must be some way we can do this better” ALWAYS trumps “this is the way we’ve always done it”.
- Evidence-Based Decision-Making
We are propelled by data and can often be found saying “prove it”. Everything we do needs to be grounded fact.
- Team Thinking
Individuals don’t win championships, teams do. Anyone who wants to work for the Town of Edson must put the Organization and the residents it serves before departmental considerations and personal ambitions.
- A Marathon Mentality
Meaningful change happens over time. Employees must have patience for the long-game.
- Risk Tolerance
If we want to be the most effecitive municipality in Alberta (and we do), a healthy appetite for mitigated and carefully measured risk is essential to our team character. We strive to do what’s right, not what’s easy.
Have we achieved all of this? Nope, but we’re getting there, and we’re on the same page. This is what we want.
What’s YOUR culture type?
If you are to be successful with the Town of Edson, you must be comfortable with discomfort, with asking and answering challenging questions, with rethinking processes, procedures, and even your own point of view, each and every week. You must have a healthy distrust for easy answers, a keen eye for team wins and a consistent bias for action.
If this doesn’t describe you, no problem! Just don’t apply! There are no “right or wrong” work cultures, only matches and mismatches. There is no shame in not having a matching blood type with a potential donor and none in not being a cultural fit for the Town of Edson. We wish you all the best.
If this does describe you – and if you have that requisite combination of education and experience that we seek – we’d like to hear from you. We’d like to hear what you bring to the table and how you can help us achieve our objective of providing the residents of Edson the level of service excellence that they deserve. Check out the below Job Description and let us know.
Reporting to the General Manager of Corporate Services, this position provides insight and expertise to support the financial planning of the Town, mitigates current and potential risks, as well as provides leadership and direction to the Accounting Supervisor in assisting with the day-to-day operation of the Town’s financial systems, processes and policies. The Corporate Services Manager may also provide assistance to other areas of the Corporate Services department.
All Managers are responsible for modeling, upholding, enforcing and contributing to a workplace culture of honesty, integrity and respect, and one that is premised on the Organization’s core purpose: providing meaningful, innovative, and efficient services to Edson residents.
Budget and Finance
- Compare and analyze actual results with budgeted forecasts, monitor variances and identify trends.
- Recommend actions by analyzing and interpreting data and making comparative analyses
- Assist in development and updating of financial policies and procedures.
- Compile Quarterly reports for Council.
- Work with the General Manager of Corporate Services on the yearly budgeting process.
- Assist with the coordination, development, and implementation of multi-year Operating and Capital budgets.
- Work with Finance team members to prepare audit working papers and account reconciliations; liaise with Town appointed Auditors and lead the Audit process.
- Update and maintain the Tangible Capital Assets (TCA) register and prepare TCA for the yearly audit.
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational workshops/webinars, and by reviewing relevant publications.
- Reconciliation of bank accounts monthly and prepare corresponding journal entries.
- Assist the General Manager of Corporate Services to be compliant and up-to-date with current and newly implemented accounting standards of the Public Sector Accounting Board for Financial Reporting.
- Research and assist with the preparation of Federal, Provincial, and other grant applications.
- Manage the grant agreements and deadlines to enable preparation and submission of grant status reports.
- Support other departments in their grant pursuits.
Risk Management and Investments
- Responsible for the overall management of the insurance portfolio for the Town, including policy creation and review, claims management, etc.
- Maintain the Town’s investment folder as per the Town’s policies and Municipal Government Act guidelines.
- Perform risk assessments to analyze current risks and identify potential risks.
- Perform risk evaluations of previously handled risks and compare them to current potential risks to mitigate any future impact.
Competencies and Behaviours
- Relate to and communicate with Senior Management, Council, colleagues, direct reports, customers, external agencies, government, and vendors sincerely, clearly, tactfully, promptly, and courteously.
- Display a positive and generally supportive and collaborative approach.
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
- Effective problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Effective organizational and time management skills.
- Provide assistance as directed to all Corporate Services departments (Finance, IT, Communication and Human Resources).
- Assume the managerial responsibilities of the General Manager of Corporate Services in case of their absence.
- Perform tasks consistent with the position, including special projects and assignments as may be required on an ad hoc basis, and as assigned by the General Manager of Corporate Services.
- Create a team environment which inspires hard work, dedication, collaboration, and excellence.
- Provide regular honest and constructive feedback.
- Manage direct reports in their day-to-day responsibilities.
- Be familiar with HR policies and procedures and enforce the same.
- Carry out all Human Resources mandated processes in a timely and consistent manner.
- Manage challenging personal and interpersonal dynamics sensitively and respectfully; respond appropriately to reports of disrespectful conduct.
- Responsibly protect any confidential or sensitive information that falls under the position’s purview.
Health & Safety
- Model and help construct a positive culture in which Health & Safety are highly prioritized.
- Ensure that all health and safety programs and policies are faithfully executed.
- Ensure compliance with all health and safety policies and procedures.
- Ensure all incidents, accidents and near-misses are reported in a timely fashion.
- Help employees to identify and eliminate or mitigate hazards on a day-to-day basis.
- Be familiar with Health & Safety policies and procedures and enforce the same.
- Participate in audits as required.
- Where necessary, monitor modified work programs in consultation with Health & Safety.
Budgetary Authority & Responsibilities
- Prepare annual departmental operating and capital budgets.
- Ensure that all procurement is completed in accordance with the approved budget, the Purchasing Policy, and other legal or policy requirements.
- Ensure fiscal responsibility and efficient revenue generation; pursue alternative funding sources (e.g. grants) wherever possible.
- Familiarize oneself with policies and procedures relating to spending and enforce the same.
- Authorize purchases and accounts within assigned limits.
- Provide positive and professional engagement with public stakeholders where necessary.
- Attend and present at Council, Committee, or external agency meetings as required. Ensure reports and recommendations are well researched, accurate, and comprehensive.
- Provide honest and respectful feedback to Town Council and other stakeholders as required.
Education & Certifications
- An undergraduate degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related field
- Post-graduate degree in a related discipline (CPA, MBA)
- History of contributing to create a positive cultural environment.
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal/interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to foster a collaborative team environment and contribute to its growth.
- Demonstrated experience in high level analytics, problem solving, and team leading.
- Fully conversant in the use of Microsoft Office applications and other financial system databases.
- Significant knowledge and experience in municipal operations, systems thinking, strategic planning, organizational processes and systems
- Understanding of budget processes and procedures, goal setting and policy formulation process, chart of accounts structure, and debt financing.