Northern Sunrise County is a vibrant and action-oriented municipality that is looking for a Deputy Assessor with similar qualities. This position will interest you if you enjoy working in an environment that encourages development, fosters growth and looks at the big picture.
The Deputy Assessor will assist the Director of Assessment in the delivery, administration, and valuation process of properties in the County, which has about $2 billion in assessment base. Northern Sunrise County supplies assessment services to five other municipalities and the appointed assessor is the Provincial Assessor designate for all six municipalities.
Reporting to the Director of Assessment, the Deputy Assessor is responsible for addressing and responding to inquiries from ratepayers and other departments regarding property assessment and taxation of about $2 billion assessment base. The Deputy Assessor will assist in the delivery, administration, and valuation process of properties and provide technical assistance and support to the Assessment Department. The Deputy Assessor must ensure that all applicable municipal policies and bylaws, provincial legislation and federal legislation are adhered to.
- Provide expertise, administrative support and information to the Director of Assessment.
- Analyze and record all property (residential, farmland, commercial, and industrial) characteristics in required formats.
- Complete detailed re-inspections (20% of County per year) of all property types as required.
- Assist in assessing the more complex and/or unusual properties, or special purpose improvements.
- Develop and apply rates for depreciation and obsolescence as determined from market value analysis to maintain a fair and equitable assessment.
- Analyze data and prepare reports for management purposes.
- Assist in the setting of annual goals for the department.
- Explain and discuss assessments with taxpayers, draft responses to written inquiries, attend and present assessment related information at public information forums and defend valuations before both the Assessment and Municipal Government Review Boards.
- Accredited Municipal Assessor of Alberta designation and a minimum of 5 years’ experience working in the Assessment field.
- A Real Property Assessment two-year certification.
- Post-secondary education must include computer assisted mass appraisal valuation, economics and building construction course work.
- Experience working with a Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal System
- Proven ability to understand computer applications, including spreadsheet application, database mechanics, and structures and multiple regression analysis
- Experience working with oil and gas assessment would be an asset.
- Knowledge of provincial regulations and municipal bylaws and policies relating to the Assessment Department would be a definite asset.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License with positive driving record.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently and exercise sound judgement, discretion, tact and confidentiality at all times.
- A positive record of working effectively with appointed and elected officials, volunteer boards and committees and the general public.
- Experience with Health and Safety committees and their policies.
- Willingness to take other training as required.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT:
- Extensive use of computers and related equipment.
- Long periods of sitting, good lighting, temperature and noise control.
- Must be physically fit to perform field work and inspect all stages of construction.
- Working in all weather conditions is required.
- Use and operation of a vehicle, as travel is required.
- Occasional environmental exposure to weather conditions, rough terrain.
- Regular working day consists of 7.25 hours; however occasional overtime or weekend work may be required.
HEALTH & SAFETY:
- All personnel working at Northern Sunrise County are governed by the County’s Health and Safety Policy and are eligible to be a member of the Health and Safety Committee.
- Ensures all operations are conducted in a safe manner and in accordance with County Policies and Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.
- Ensure proper safety training and safe work practices for staff.
- Ensure proper ergonomic requirements are met and good ergonomic procedures are practiced.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position.
Employment with the County is conditional upon receiving the following documents on or before your first day of work:
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Satisfactory Driver’s Abstract
Interested candidates may apply to:
Olive Toews, Director of Legislative Services & Human Resources
Northern Sunrise County
Bag 1300, Peace River, AB T8S 1Y9
The position will remain open until a suitable applicant is found. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.