Chestermere Fire Services is a progressive and innovative service that lives the values - Proud, Professional and Proficient. Are you someone with high integrity and strong leadership skills ready to help take our service to the next level? We want to meet you!
The City of Chestermere is currently seeking a full-time (37.5 hours per week) Deputy Fire Chief to join our Community Safety Team.
Reporting to the Director, Community Safety/Fire Chief, the Deputy Fire Chief is responsible for supporting the fire service leadership in the coordination of emergency response operations, emergency management, fire prevention and developing the skills and abilities of department team members. This position actively supports the Director, Community Safety/Fire Chief role in their absence, as the Incident Commander, providing leadership to the Community Safety functional area, when required.
- Supports the Fire Chief in the design and implementation of the vision and strategic direction for the department and its team members.
- Develops safe and effective fire response strategies and systems for the City in alignment with the Fire Chief’s vision.
- Provides leadership, coaching and mentoring to the Captains in the implementation and continuous improvement of incident response, training, protocol development, public relations, fire prevention and related operational duties and projects.
- Holds a Deputy Director Emergency Management (DDEM) appointment under the Emergency Coordination Centre (ECC) model and coordinates the development and evolution of emergency management plans, protocols, and supporting tools.
- Leads the City’s Emergency Management training and practice exercises in support of the DEM’s objectives.
- Participates as a member of the Chestermere Emergency Management Agency (CHEMA) team in preparing and enabling the community to respond in the event of a local or regional disaster.
- Continuously reviews departmental policy and procedures in pursuit of efficient operations while identifying opportunities for enhancement.
- Leads team projects, such as procurement of gear and apparatus, in collaboration with relevant City departments and by providing development opportunities for Captains and team members.
- Ensures response readiness by developing and reviewing apparatus inspections and hall duties assignments, participating directly when needed.
Required Education and Experience:
- Technical training and post-secondary education in the fields of Fire Services, Fire Protection Technology, Fire Science, Disaster and Emergency Management or related fields.
- 7+ years of demonstrated progressive leadership experience.
Emergency management and ECC experience.
Desired Certifications and/or Documentation:
- NFPA 1001 Level 2, NFPA 1002, NFPA 1021 Level 3 Fire Officer, NFPA 1041 Level 2 Fire Service Instructor, NFPA 1033 Fire Investigator, NFPA 1031 Fire Inspector Level 2, NFPA 1035 Level 2, ICS 100, 200, 300, 400; Water/Ice Rescue, NFPA 472 Operations Level plus any other relevant training/instructor certifications.
- Class 2/3 Drivers License with Q Endorsement
- First Aid/CPR Level HCP and maintain.
- Leadership for Safety Excellence
- Clear Criminal Record and Child Intervention Checks deemed satisfactory by the City.
** To review the full job-description visit www.chestermere.ca/jobs
Working for the City of Chestermere:
As Alberta’s fastest growing municipality, the City of Chestermere has rapidly evolved from a charming summer village into a dynamic lakeside community for over 20,000 residents.
By demonstrating the City’s values, employees at the City of Chestermere use their strengths and unique abilities to contribute to the vision of Chestermere as a sustainable lakeside recreational community that is safe and family oriented. We serve our community by creating an Amazing place to live, work and play. Chestermere is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply here.
Applications will be accepted until Sunday, September, 13, 2020 at 4:00pm.
Note: The City appreciates receiving resumes from all qualified individuals, however only those applicants who are short-listed for an interview will be contacted.