The City is currently seeking a fulltime (37.5 hours per week), Front Counter Development Assistant to join our Planning & Development Services team for a 1 year contract. As a member of the Planning & Development Services team, this position provides front line customer service, communications support and administrative support to the team in support of the municipality’s overall operations.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Customer service
- Review building permit applications to ensure that all documentation is complete and submit to Building Codes Officer for building review
- Accept, review and issue Utility Safety Codes Permits and dispatch Safety Codes inspections
- Accept and review Development Permit Applications for minor residential construction such as basement, decks and hot tubs
- General administrative support, including communications.
This position provides level l clerical services in support of the municipality’s development and building services program.
Consideration will be given to candidates who possess:
- 3 years of related and progressive experience in a municipal building services environment or construction industry.
- Customer-service experience in a municipal setting or similar office environment.
- Knowledge of Alberta Safety Codes and municipal Land Use Bylaw Regulations and ability to read permit drawings.
- Knowledge of specialized data management software for Building and Safety Codes permit processing.
- Communication and customer service skills with the ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form, e.g., maintain ongoing communication to anticipate and prevent potential problems, develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships with staff, the public and other stakeholders.
- Ability to track and generate reports to advise the general public, industry professionals, internal departments and external government agencies of housing statistics.
- Ability to interpret policies.
- Ability to balance the needs of stakeholders with the needs of the City.
- Strong work ethic and highly motivated, e.g., ability to work in a fast-paced environment and respond to action requests and competing deadlines in a timely matter.
- Working towards the ALUP certificate preferred.
- Proficiency with MS Office, e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook