This position requires the individual to demonstrate and draw on expertise acquired from extensive, varied and progressively more responsible levels of experience in the development phase of Planning. In consultation with the Manager, this position is responsible for initiating changes, interpretation and enforcement of the Land Use Bylaw.
This position will take a lead role in the implementation of policy relating to the Development of properties. The Development Officer will be expected to handle a wide range of duties related to all manner and size of projects, applications, and policies. The Development Officer will work independently or in teams as the situation dictates. Presentations to Council, Boards and Committees are an integral component of the scope of duties. The Development Officer will act as a resource person and mentor for Planners and Assistant Development Officers.
- Through a sound knowledge of the Land Use Bylaw, accurately provides development and building requirements and other related planning information and guidance on general counter or telephone inquiries as required.
- Ensures development permit applications are complete including an assessment of information submitted. Assigns Development Permit applications, so that appropriate development personnel and processes are notified and applied.
- Determines if Development Permit applications are deemed for refusal and prepares the refusal forms based on Land Use Bylaw non-compliance, for signature by the Manager Planning and Development Services.
- Ensures all Development Appeal Board reports are prepared, presents reports at Development Appeal Board Hearings and assures the reports are submitted to administration within the deadlines set for upcoming meetings.
- Monitors process deadlines for new applications including ensuring that: a log of all new Development Permits applications is current; reports are prepared; reviews all reports for accuracy to the Land Use Bylaw and completeness; reviews files with the Manager Planning and Development Services to determine if the applications are ready for approval and advertisement in the newspaper.
- Identifies and initiates actions regarding conditionally approved Development Permits with expiry dates and works with the applicant to achieve these conditions and successfully issue the Development Permit.
- Ensures that all Development Permit applications approved through the Development Appeal process are prepared and issued. Ensures that all Board Orders prepared from Development Appeal Hearings accurately reflects the Development application and ensures they are mailed within the fifteen (15) day time limit.
- Ensures that an accurate log of all Letters of Credit that are required as a condition of development approval and creates the necessary forms to notify Business Services of new, revised or released Letters of Credit. Balances the Letters of Credit log with the Finance Report at year end.
- Endorses Stamps of Compliance on Real Property Reports and offers advice to Planning employees when required, to bring properties into compliance when Real Property Reports are reviewed.
- Initiates and balances month end reports for the Planning and Development Services Section and submits statistics to Stats Canada, the Manager Planning and Development Services and the Development Services General Manager on a monthly basis.
- Meets with Developers to discuss their proposals and offers advice and guidance in the Development Permit process.
- Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and environment.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Successful completion of a BA - Planning (or related field).
- Minimum 5 years related experience.
- Must possess positive public relations and effective oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess a strong ability for attention to detail, accuracy, timing and scheduling of work for this position, with the ability to meet demanding deadlines.
- Is able to interpret the Land Use Bylaw and building construction plans, drawings, site plans, sketches and related documents.
- Must be individually motivated with the ability to act independently within a close team environment, exercising independent judgment within tight time frames.
- Must have a strong ability to act independently within an interdependent team environment, dealing positively with the public and co-workers with tight time lines.
- Eligibility for CIP (Canadian Institute of Planners) designation is preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point, and Access).
- Must possess a valid class 5 Alberta driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation.
This opportunity will be posted until Sunday, February 17, 2019.
Interested applicants are invited to apply direct to www.rockyview.jobs.
Applications are due by 10 pm MST on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted