The Development Officer, as part of the Development Authority for the Town of Taber, is responsible for the administration, monitoring, and enforcement of the Land Use Bylaw.
- Reviews, evaluates, prepares and issues decisions on development permit applications
- Facilitates building permit application for review and issuance by the Safety Codes Officer
- Reviews and issues compliance certificates
- Coordinates and conducts field inspections and investigations related to development permit applications and enforcement matters
- Investigates complaints related to Land Use Bylaw compliance, and decides ensuing actions that may include the issuance of orders pursuant to the Land Use Bylaw and the Municipal Government Act
- Prepares servicing agreements that identify the conditions of development permits
- Monitors conditions of development permits and the provisions of development agreements to ensure adherence to time and financial obligations
- Preparation of materials for presentation to Town Council and the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board and attend meetings as required
- Coordinate monthly Municipal Planning Commission meetings and prepare all required documentation including agenda, request for decisions, minutes, etc.
- Liaises with municipal departments, government agencies, and external agencies regarding development-related matters to ensure information and decisions are coordinated and cohesive
- Coordinates requirements for the adoption, amendment, and implementation of planning documents, bylaws, and development permits
- Facilitates development and compliance processes for the public and other municipal staff by providing information, advice, and interpretation of bylaws
- Coordinates the activities of Current Planning with other Planning & Development business units to ensure a coordinated and cohesive outcome
- Prioritizes, organizes, and monitors processes to meet the timelines and objectives of the department and client base
- Maintains accurate records and current property files, including data entry and month end reconciliation of building permit statistics
- Provides functional guidance to technical and administrative assistant staff as required
- In cooperation with the IT Department, contribute to the design of the Town of Taber website, and updating of content
- Participates in the workplace health and safety program, including monthly worksite and hazard inspections, when required
- Other related duties as assigned from time to time
- A planning degree with a minimum of three years’ experience with emphasis on development processes and membership in the Alberta Development Officers Association would be considered an asset.
- Successful completion of, or working towards Applied Land Use Planning Certificate would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, provincial and municipal legislation, policies, processes and programs and the ability to interpret and integrate this knowledge into planning and development projects.
- The ability to influence outcomes through excellent public relations, communications, interpersonal, facilitation and mediation expertise.
- Working knowledge of Agenda.net software
- Working knowledge of Microsoft dynamics
- Supervisory, leadership and team-building skills would be an asset.
- Required to engage with the public on a daily basis.
- Ability to provide a clean Police Information Check.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT:
Permanent Full Time
HOURS OF WORK:
37.5 hrs/week, 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.
$31.19 per hour with full benefits and pension
COMPETITION CLOSE DATE:
until suitable candidate is found.
The Town of Taber holds a Certificate of Recognition achieved through the Alberta Municipal Health & Safety Association for our Safety Policies and Program.
Please submit resume and cover letter, in confidence to:
Director of Planning & Economic Development
Town of Taber
4900 A 50 St.
Taber, AB T1G 1T1