Beaver County is a rural municipality southeast of Edmonton. It is located along the Province’s High-Load Corridor and has a diversified tax base, ranging from acreage development in the west, to mixed farming in the centre and east, and gravel/oil/gas extraction in the east. The population is 5905 with a regional population (including two towns and two villages) of 9900.
Beaver County is seeking a skilled, motivated, and customer-oriented person for the position of Development Officer.
Reporting to the Assistant Chief Administrative Officer, the Development Officer will carry out the following position responsibilities:
- Provide information/advice regarding development and subdivision proposals, including interpretation of the County’s MDP and LUB, and other relevant planning legislation
- Accept, process, and decide upon all permitted and discretionary use applications
- Prepare subdivision application decisions for signature of the Subdivision Authority
- Inspect application sites prior to making a decision
- Enforce development regulations and approval conditions
- Issue compliance certificates
- Defend decisions to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board
- Process road closure applications and administer leases of County-owned property
- Recommend and process amendments to the County’s MDP and LUB
- Assist with updates to Intermunicipal Development Plans
- Liaise with safety codes inspection agency regarding coordination of development and safety codes permits, and lead annual audit within the region
- Liaise with vendor regarding updates to the GIS program
- Prepare statistical reports regarding development activities
- Assist with other administrative duties as required
- Certification in Applied Land Use Planning and/or related education, or equivalent experience
- Proven knowledge of municipal legislation and relevant statutes
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office)
- Knowledge of GIS (webmapping)
- Personal initiative, the ability to work independently, and as a team-player
- Effective public presentation skills and good written communication skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Experience in a municipal government setting
- Valid driver’s license
Hours of work are 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, with an opportunity to participate in an Earned Day Off program. Salary range is $68,004 to $82,739. A comprehensive benefits package is available.
Competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found, however applications received before 4:30 pm, Thursday, September 5, 2019, will be given first consideration.
Beaver County is committed to a healthy and safe work environment and adheres to a non-smoking policy. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.