The Town of Strathmore is a vibrant and progressive community of 13,000 people, located on the Trans Canada Highway 40 km east of Calgary. The community offers all amenities that appeal to a wide range of lifestyles including first class educational and recreational facilities. The Town of Strathmore provides a range of services and programs that promote the well being of the Strathmore community, “Where Quality is the Way of Life”. Striving to be a leader in municipal administration and operations, the Town has a strong and engaged team focused on delivering these services to the citizens of Strathmore.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Community & Protective Services is responsible for the leadership and operations of the Fire department, emergency management, bylaw enforcement, liaises with the RCMP municipal detachment, recreation & community facilities, recreation & cultural programming, youth services, Family & Community Support Services and preventative social services in the community. The Director of Community & Protective Services is a member of the town’s senior leadership team.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- The Director is responsible for the provision and facilitation of fire services, emergency management, recreation & community facilities, cultural programming, youth services, Family & Community Support Services & preventative social services in the community.
- The Director is one of the key advisors and strategists for the CAO regarding corporate issues such as strategic planning, financial planning, and business planning. He/she acts as a mentor and resource to other members of management in the organization.
- Performs as the principal advisor to the CAO regarding matters within the Community & Protective Services mandate.
- Develops corporate and administrative policies, presents issues and makes recommendations regarding the fire services, emergency management, recreation & community facilities, recreation & cultural programming, youth services, family & community support services and preventative social services in the community.
- Facilitates the development of long-and short-term planning, policies, statutes, bylaws and resolution in alignment with the corporate strategic plan and department business plans.
- Ensures that appropriate and timely planning occurs in all areas of Community & Protective Services. This includes planning for the department within the framework of corporate planning and the facilitation of community group planning. He/she ensures that these plans meld with the corporate strategic Plan.
- Responsible for providing leadership to the departments & ensures that staff resources are managed effectively to meet the service delivery requirements of the department.
- Plans and implements department objectives to align with corporate strategies in order to maximize service delivery with established financial parameters.
- Provides input into all levels of municipal planning documents such as the MDP, IDP, Joint Use Agreements, Community Needs Assessment, and other corporate initiatives.
- Manages the departments to ensure the maximization of service mix and delivery with established financial limitations and parameters of the operating and capital budgets.
- Monitors the department’s performance in a timely manner and takes action as appropriate to enable and enhance performance as required.
- Ensures that staff resources are in place and utilized effectively to meet the servicedelivery standards of the department and the organization, and that effective stewardshipis provided to human resource planning and employee development issues.
- Ensures the development of partnerships and cooperative ventures with communityorganizations, the private sector and other jurisdictions for the delivery of community andprotective services for the town.
- Facilitates the evaluation of levels of service in the Community & Protective ServicesDepartment with appropriate staff and other related agency partnership opportunities.
- Is the Town’s key liaison with regional, provincial and national organizations/governmentagencies with respect to Community & Protective Services initiatives that require acorporate perspective or presence.
- Negotiates agreements for approval of the CAO and Council including leases, regionalcost sharing agreements and joint use agreements.
Required Education & Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in Business or Public Administration or equivalent.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of progressive experience in a management position ina municipal environment, with a broad range of community & protective services.
- Proven ability to effectively liaise with: CAO, senior leadership team, municipal counciland other levels of government.
- Familiarity & understanding of Municipal Government Acts, bylaws, policies & procedures.
- Budget preparation and planning
- Must be a strategic thinker and problem solver
- Ability to establish and maintain a high degree of public confidence and public trust.
- Excellent verbal and written and public relation skills.
- Ability to lead and motivate.
- Ability to effectively represent the interests of the Town
- Superior planning, scheduling and coordination skills.
- Skilled at working under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint
The Town of Strathmore offers a competitive salary and benfits package based on your experience and qualifications.
Please forward a cover letter describing your experience and ability with respect to the competencies and behaviours stated above, as well as your resume quoting Competition TOS2020-11 by email to: email@example.com.
The Town of Strathmore thanks all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.