Wetaskiwin is a dynamic and growing city of approximately 12,600 people and it is known for its many green spaces, rich history, celebrated events and overall high quality of life for residents. Even more recently, however, the City of Wetaskiwin has come to be known for its accessibility, transparency and creative community outreach. Located only 35 minutes south of Edmonton and 55 minutes north of Red Deer, the City of Wetaskiwin provides all of the amenities and quality of life of an urban-rural center.
Director of Community Services
Reporting to the City Manager, this position is responsible for outcomes of the following corporate wide service areas and activities: providing strategic leadership for the Community Services Division including Recreation (including aquatics, sports fields, arenas and community programs), tourism and events, FCSS and public transit. Additionally, this position develops and oversees the implementation of short and long term plans within the City’s strategic plan; provides advice in their area of specialization to City Management and to Council; and provides leadership and direction to managers and employees within their department.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Provide senior leadership to the Division in the context of Council’s approved Strategic Plan and Corporate Business Plan reflecting priority initiatives, as well as financial/human resources & governing legislation.
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership to provide consistent direction and encourage teamwork in delivery of services in accordance with strategy and City policy.
- Provide advice to the City Manager and Elected Officials in the establishment of strategic objectives, policies, and program plans that enable effective delivery of community services.
- Identify, assess, and inform the City Manager and Council of internal and external issues that impact the City.
- Ensure optimal allocation and stewardship of financial resources (capital and annual budgets), human resources and assets allocated to Community Services.
- Foster positive and responsible working relationships with other government, agencies, adjacent and partner municipalities, the private sector/industry, community organizations and residents.
- Act as a professional advisor regarding all aspects of Community Services.
- Foster effective teamwork between employees, departments and other divisions ensuring customer service.
- Ensures divisional departments respond in an effective and timely manner to Council inquiries and complex or controversial community issues and opportunities.
- Ensure quality evidence based decisions, integrity of actions, timeliness and efficiency of work through effective management, presentations, meetings and working relationships with Council, City administration, and community leaders.
- Develop operational plans which incorporate goals and objectives of the Council Strategic Plan.
- Cultivate a shared understanding of corporate goals by fostering teamwork, employee empowerment, involvement & accountability. Provide visionary leadership that is consultative and responsive; demonstrates open communication and practices fairness.
- Develop objectives and set annual performance expectations and supervise activities of direct reports. Provide on-going feedback regarding job performance, mentoring and coaching to direct report.
- Identify and supports learning and development opportunities that enhance organizational effectiveness and aligns with the City’s strategic plan.
- Ensure that effective daily operations and services are provided.
- Draft and implement policies and procedures where applicable.
- Provide reports on operations and financial performance to City Manager and for City Council meetings as required.
- Identify and evaluate risks (environmental, physical, and financial) to the City and the public, makes recommendations to the City Manager to mitigate them and implements.
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the City of Wetaskiwin Health and Safety Management System.
- Actively participate in the City Emergency Management program and procedures.
Skills and Experience
- Outstanding supervisory skills and administrative abilities in leading, coordinating, directing, motivating, developing and evaluating staff.
- Excellent skills and ability to provide strategic leadership, to guide/motivate staff in the development of strategies, principles, and appropriate processes to deliver on corporate strategic objectives; a client-service approach.
- Excellent knowledge of government programs, regulations and legislation.
- Individual values that align with the client service and values of integrity, respect, people development, teamwork and approachable leadership.
- Ability to make decisions and provide direction on complex and emerging issues which may have substantial political, community, inter-municipal or administrative implications in an effective, professional and timely manner.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication & presentation skills to work with Council, staff, community & business leaders, the public & all orders of government. Ability to manage sensitive issues effectively.
- A demanding work environment that requires making timely decisions, managing multiple projects and changing priorities, providing direction regarding complex or unique situations with high political profile, substantial financial implications or community well-being.
- Able to assume City Manager responsibilities in the absence of City Manager.
Education and Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree in Recreation Administration, Physical Education, Public Administration or related field supplemented with extensive management and/or leadership training.
- Enrollment or completion of the National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration Program is desired
- Eight to ten years of administrative leadership experience at a senior level.
- Must provide a Criminal Records Check prior to employment commencement.
Close Date: January 24, 2020
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.