Competition number: 146-2019-EXT-CP
Closing date: 05/27/2019
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Department: Corporate Planning
Pay range: $147,657 to $184,566 per year
Hours: 35 hours per week
Are you a visionary leader with the ability to bring together the organization as one towards a shared vision? Come join us as the Director, Corporate Planning to help create Strathcona County’s strategic future!
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, you would be responsible for leading, managing and directing the Corporate Planning Department to support Strathcona County’s Vision, Strategic and Corporate Business Plans, and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service. You would be in a position to advise, influence and inform the Executive Team and Council of the operations, affairs and direction of the Department.
- Provide senior leadership of the Corporate Planning Department for the purpose of supporting the County’s vision and align programs with the Corporate Strategic and Business Plans
- Lead the development and implementation of the Department’s business plan, operating budget and human resource planning
- Foster, build and maintain effective relationships with Council, Executive Team, Senior Leadership, Department staff and other stakeholders
- Provide excellence in personal leadership that establishes and maintains a highly engaged and effective team in the Department
- Establish, model, support and encourage a collaborative and healthy work environment including personal accountability, team alignment, respectful conduct, recognition and continuous improvement
- Promote and support the outcomes, priorities, goals and deliverables of the People Plan in order to collaboratively co-design a workplace and culture that is reflective of Strathcona County’s vision
- Provide effective leadership to ensure the efficient delivery of programs and services in the Department
- Manage, review and report on the Department’s financial performance and resources in accordance with approved operating and capital budgets and account for the fiscal costs, resources and revenues
- Oversee the efficient and effective use of all resources: financial, information technology, human resources, communications and documentation management
- Proactively identify the need and opportunities for change and build support for major changes to the direction of programs or business practices
Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, persuade, and garner commitment;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategy, and develop and implement new programs, procedures, services, and policies that address emerging needs, expectations, and operational priorities
- Strong political and organizational savvy and business acumen. Ability to respond under pressure to changing political and operational situations
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills including strong management skills to provide direction, training and coaching
- Flexible, adaptable, collaborative and demonstrates a positive attitude. Diplomatic with well-developed negotiation skills
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; a visionary leader with the ability to present and address Council, Boards and Committees
- Ability to work under pressure, manage a variety of projects and initiatives simultaneously and meet tight timelines
- Ability to diplomatically and effectively liaise and consult with internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Political Science or a related field. Master’s degree in a related field is considered an asset
- Minimum of 10 years of senior level management experience with proven strategic leadership in Corporate and Strategic Planning coupled with an extensive background and experience in policies, guidelines and systems
- Strong background in corporate planning, policy development and implementation, performance evaluation and measurement
- Considerable breadth and in-depth knowledge of financial management, planning and reporting processes, priority based budgeting, business planning and fiscal frameworks
- Extensive knowledge of the functions, principles and policies of municipal government administration and operations, including the Municipal Government Act
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position to the following:
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.