For people who enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, Sparwood will exceed your expectations by offering you instant access to mountains, valleys, rivers and lakes filled with an array of fish and wildlife. Participate in fishing, hiking, mountain biking, camping, golf, numerous lake activities, hunting, cross country skiing and world class skiing and snowboarding to your heart’s content.
Sparwood is an East Kootenay community of about 4,000 people living in the beautiful Elk Valley, approximately 1.5 hours away from Cranbrook, BC and 2.5 hours away from Calgary, AB - offering easy access to big city amenities while enjoying all that rural living has to offer.
The District of Sparwood is searching for its next talented and experienced Director within the Corporate Services department. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director of Corporate Services is responsible for the management of the District’s legislative functions, as well as other core administrative business areas and staff. This position is designated as Corporate Officer, as outlined in the Community Charter, and will have working knowledge of the legislative, legal and corporate responsibilities in BC local government legislation.
Recognizing the unlimited potential of this vibrant community and the importance of hiring a leader to assist Council in achieving their strategic goals and objectives, as outlined in the 2019-2022 Strategic Priorities Report, we are looking to attract a collaborative leader with strong communication skills as the Director of Corporate Services.
The core job duties include:
- Being responsible for duties identified in section 148 of the Community Charter;
- Overseeing the municipal election process;
- Being responsible for the BC Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act compliance;
- Acting as the Municipal Emergency Management Coordinator;
- Being responsible for corporate communications and oversight of the District website; and
- Leading the Bylaw Enforcement team.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A diploma in Public Administration;
- A minimum five (5) years of local government experience in a Corporate Officer or Deputy Corporate Officer role;
- Experience managing a local government election;
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and iCompass software.
The salary for this position is between $100,000 and $112,000 (dependent on education and experience), and includes a full range of employer paid benefits, an earned day off program, up to 3-weeks of banked overtime and an Active Living Pass for access to the Leisure Centre courts, fitness centre, climbing wall, pool, arena and many of the drop-in fitness classes. More information and a detailed job description can be found on the District of Sparwood website at https://sparwood.ca/job-opportunities.
Qualified applicants who are offered and accept the position may be required to complete a satisfactory pre-employment background check. This may consist of all or a combination of the following: Canadian criminal record check, an employment verification and/or an education and accreditation verification and a clean drivers’ abstract.
Applicants are invited to submit their resumes, complete with cover letter, in confidence by February 16, 2020 at 23:00, quoting competition #02-2020, to the attention of:
Ms. Michele Schalekamp
Chief Administrative Officer
District of Sparwood