Town of Three Hills Employment Opportunity
Director of Finance
The Town of Three Hills is seeking an energetic and motivated professional with superior leadership, communication, organizational, and analytical skills, who works well in a fast-paced environment. The position offers a rewarding and motivating work environment to demonstrate proficiencies in finance, accounting, and administrative skills to support municipal operations, direction and supervision to the finance department.
Reporting directly to the CAO, this position’s responsibilities will be to:
- Manager with direct reports will participate in the recruitment and selection process, train coach, performance manage, participate in a progressive disciplinary process including terminations, participate in employees’ career development;
- Provide reports and information regarding financial services and attend meetings of the Council, as required;
- Maintain financial, accounting, and administrative services in order to support municipal operations;
- Ensure the integrity of revenues, accuracy of financial statements;
- Ensure compliance and adhere to all relevant legislation, policy, and procedures;
- Manage related budgets;
- Direct and assist with the preparation of the corporate long-range and annual plans;
- Direct and assist with operational and capital budgets;
- Direct and prepare the annual report, annual financial statements and oversee the annual audit and implement internal auditing and program evaluation activities;
- Relate to and communicate with senior management, Council, colleagues, direct reports, customers, external agencies, government, and vendors sincerely, clearly, promptly and courteously; respond to inquiries and complaints promptly and professionally;
- May serve as back up to the CAO and exercise signing authority on behalf of the Town, as needed.
The Director of Finance shall provide the CAO with accurate and timely information to ensure municipal operations are maintained in an effective and efficient manner.
The preferred candidate will possess:
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Completion of CPA designation desirable
- Completion of post-secondary education in the field of finance, accounting, or public administration;
- Knowledge/experience in municipal legislation, municipal finance systems and public sector generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) required;
- Minimum of three to five (3-5) years of directly related experience in progressively more responsible positions is required;
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a management or supervisory role; and
- Knowledge/experience of financial operating system Questica and municipal software system Vadim are an asset.
- Ability to make decisions with integrity and professionalism while serving the overall vision and values of the Town;
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal/interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- Shall be required to implement processes and policies in support of municipal goals and legislative requirements;
- Shall be required to ensure the day to day processing of financial transactions are maintained in an effective, up to date, and accurate manner;
- Working with Finance team members to maintain finance and office records including but not limited to the general ledger, budget, year-end, audits, investments, grants, and insurance and ensure the protection and security of files and records;
- May be required to provide administrative support in order to ensure effective and efficient office operations;
- May be required to organize internal operations and procedures for staff;
- May be required to maintain the fixed asset ledger according to Tangible Capital Assets (TGA) requirements.
- May be required to update knowledge of leadership, municipal finance, and municipal legislation, on an ongoing basis.
About the Town of Three Hills
From its humble beginnings as a Village in 1912, the Town of Three Hills has a long history of community hospitality, pride, economic expansion and convenient locality.
Three Hills has the security and quality of life of a small town with numerous “big city” amenities. The Downtown sector features numerous shopping and dining conveniences as well as several service necessities. With 7 parks and over 4kms of trails, abundant green space can be found throughout the community. In addition, excellent recreation facilities, dynamic arts organizations and numerous service groups, all lend well to the Towns quality of life.
The residents of Three Hills take great pride in providing a welcoming atmosphere for visitors and locals alike. Social events are commonplace with many venues to choose from, including markets, live theatre, celebrations and concerts. Community events take place throughout the year, including the famous Cruise Weekend, the first weekend of June. The Town’s abundant facilities, social opportunities, and a welcoming atmosphere make Three Hills a wonderful place to play!
Centrally located within an hour of Red Deer, Strathmore, Olds and Drumheller and approx. an hour from Calgary’s International Airport, Three Hills’ prime location makes this community a wonderful place to live, work and play.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, detailed resume outlining experience, education, qualifications, references and salary expectations in confidence to Petra Jerricke at email@example.com
The closing date for this posting is September 10, 2019.
The Town thanks all applicants for their interest. The Town is an equal opportunity employer and all applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. We regret that we are unable to accept telephone inquiries.