Director of Finance
Temporary Maternity Leave Coverage (14 – 18 months)
For people who enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, Sparwood will exceed your expectations by offering you instant access to mountains, valleys, rivers and lakes filled with an array of fish and wildlife. Participate in fishing, hiking, mountain biking, camping, golf, numerous lake activities, hunting, cross country skiing and world class skiing and snowboarding to your heart’s content.
Sparwood is an East Kootenay community of about 4,000 people living in the beautiful Elk Valley, approximately 1.5 hours away from Cranbrook, BC and 2.5 hours away from Calgary, AB - offering easy access to big city amenities while enjoying all that rural living has to offer.
The District of Sparwood is searching for a talented individual to fulfill the important role of Director of Finance for a temporary maternity leave coverage ranging from 14 –to 18 months. Working closely with the Chief Administrative Officer the incumbent will be responsible for the overall direction and control of the accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, financial forecasting, investing, revenue collections, property taxation, payroll, expenditure control and information technology functions of the District. The ideal candidate will have a professional accounting designation and be a member in good standing with CPA Canada, thorough knowledge of Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards, the Local Government Act and the Community Charter, a minimum five years’ experience within municipal financial administration, and at least 5 years management experience in Local Government.
The core job duties include:
- Develop operational, capital and reserve budgets, financial bylaws, financial statements, statistical reports, cost analysis, monthly invoices, and annual reports
- Responsible for long term financial planning, reserve and debt management, financial policy, grant reporting, cost recovery calculations and other financial management, information, and advice
- Administer the District’s funds according to the approved budget, and monitor its financial expenditures
- Analyze and interpret financial and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the District
- Maintain the tangible capital asset inventory control system
The ideal candidate will have:
- Professional accounting designation and member in good standing with CPA Canada preferred
- Minimum five years’ experience within municipal finance administration
- Minimum five years’ experience in a leadership/supervisory position
- Experience with budget preparation and variance reporting
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
- Effective leadership skills, with a strong focus on mentoring and motivation of employees
More information and a detailed job description can be found on the District of Sparwood website at https://sparwood.ca/municipal-hall/employment-opportunities/.
Qualified applicants who are offered and accept the position may be required to complete a satisfactory pre-employment background check. This may consist of all or a combination of the following: Canadian criminal record check, an employment verification and/or an education and accreditation verification and a clean drivers’ abstract.
Applicants are invited to submit their resumes, complete with cover letter, in confidence by June 13, 2021 at 11:59 pm Mountain Time quoting competition #07-2021, to the attention of:
Ms. Michele Schalekamp
Chief Administrative Officer
District of Sparwood