The City of Spruce Grove is a fast growing, dynamic city committed to building and maintaining a fiscally responsible community that serves our residents, attracts visitors and promotes future growth. Through the actions of the Values We Live By, accountability, communication, leadership, integrity and respect are encouraged, while maintaining a work, play balance.
The Director of Information Systems (IS) is responsible to provide leadership in the delivery of IS including Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to the City in order to ensure the development and implementation of cost-effective systems and efficient computer operations to meet current and future decision making requirements. The incumbent provides organization-wide professional and technical leadership in the areas of policy, procedures, and best practice in planning for data processing and related IS functions.
Information System Management
- Provide leadership, vision and strategic direction in the development and implementation of technologies to align with Corporate Plan strategies.
- Direct the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrade, and support of all IT systems, including servers, PCs, operating systems, hardware, software, and peripherals.
- Direct the development and implementation of Information Systems goals, objectives, best practices and priorities.
- Develop and implement all Information Technology (IT) policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, standards, purchasing, and service provision.
- Administer the IT project portfolio, by following PMI standards to manage projects through the project lifecycle of initiation, planning, execution, control and closure.
- Prepare background information packages for policies, practices, protocols and strategies which are relevant to the city’s delivery of information systems.
- Provide explanations on Information Systems programs, policies and activities; negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues.
- Ensure the security, integrity and completeness of all records related to IS activities.
- Respond to inquiries and investigate complaints in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Facilitate multi-disciplinary work groups, convene and arrange meetings, coordinate communication, motivate, and facilitate discussion and consensus with respect to the IS section and corporate mandates.
- Ensure leadership aligns with the City’s strategic and corporate plans as well as values and guiding principles.
- Provide a high level of coaching, training, and mentoring to section staff in the achievement of their goals and projects on an ongoing basis as well as through the performance management process.
- Manage the daily operations of the IS Section, setting goals and expectations for the team, making decisions regarding staffing matters, stressing the importance of teamwork, ensuring the overall efficiency of the services provided by the team as a whole.
Strategic & Financial Management
- Plan, coordinate, direct, and design all operational activities of the IS Section.
- Provide direction and support for IT solutions that enhance mission-critical business operations.
- Participate in and contribute to organization wide corporate planning.
- Participate in strategic planning for the IS Section involving environmental scanning for trends and technologies in municipal governance, awareness and response to customer needs, anticipation of changes.
- Devise security policies, procedures and technologies required to assure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the City’s network and computing infrastructure.
- Prepare reports, make recommendations, issue reports and instructions, draft policies, procedures and by-laws for approval by senior management and City Council.
- Manage effectively, the operating and capital budgets for the department, including external contracted services.
- Prepare, in consultation with other sections and/or departments, operating and capital initiatives for submission to the corporate plan.
- Provide leadership, direction and support to internal and external service recipients of the City Information Systems.
- Work closely with City-wide decision makers to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization.
- Prepare and deliver presentations, position statements and information sessions for staff, stakeholder groups and Council to facilitate discussion of policies and initiatives, solicit feedback on proposed options and initiatives.
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 15 to 17 years related experience.
- Strong working knowledge of Information Systems.
- Strong project management skills, including a working knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques, and tools.
- Strong understanding of information security standards and technical security risk assessment using various scanning and penetration testing tools.
- Project Management Professional Designation an asset.
- Business Analysis certification an asset.
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) an asset.
- Security Designation (CISSP) an asset .
- Management Certificate in IT (ITIL) an asset.
Visit our website at www.sprucegrove.org to view a complete position description and to apply online.