The Town of Strathmore is a vibrant and progressive community of 13,000 people, located on the Trans Canada Highway 40 km east of Calgary. The community offers all amenities that appeal to a wide range of lifestyles including first class educational and recreational facilities. The Town of Strathmore provides a range of services and programs that promote the well being of the Strathmore community, “Where Quality is the Way of Life”. Striving to be a leader in municipal administration and operations, the Town has a strong and engaged team focused on delivering these services to the citizens of Strathmore.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director of IOD provides strategic and technical direction advice to the Town departments, Council, related working units and committees. This position is a key role in overseeing and managing the operating and capital budgets and establishing best practices in infrastructure projects. The Director leads the infrastructure, land use planning and development, public works and parks departments, as well as overseeing the Town’s water treatment and distribution, wastewater collection and treatment, and solid waste management operations operated by 3rd party entities.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Establish and maintain a leadership framework for the IOD departments that fosters a culture of teamwork, collaboration, respect and results.
- Responsible for determining the methods and procedures for the design, construction and maintenance of IOD services and projects in accordance with Acts, bylaws, policies and sound engineering and administrative practices.
- Working knowledge of Municipal Engineering design; land use planning, community planning, safety codes administration, economic development, public works, roads, fleet maintenance, parks and building maintenance operations.
- In consultation with the Department Managers, develop the long- and short-term goals, objectives and strategies of the department for approval by Council.
- Oversee the overall IOD budget, including all annual capital and operating budgets for all department related functions.
- Develop, implement and/or interpret policies, bylaws, acts, regulations, etc. as required.
- Provide leadership to the IOD Managers, including Performance Reviews, Training, Coaching, Health & Safety Compliance and assisting with the planning and follow up of operational issues.
Required Education & Experience:
- Post-secondary education in Engineering, Business or Public Administration or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Eight to ten (8-10) years of leadership experience at a Management level.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in municipal infrastructure, operations, and planning areas.
- Experience in the preparation, management and execution of operational and capital budgets and strategic plans.
- Demonstrated decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of people, including senior management, private and public officials, business and community leaders, advisory boards, union officials, staff and the general public.
- Fully experienced in the use of MS Office, with advanced computer skills.
- The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Driver’s Abstract and Police Information Check.
The Town of Strathmore offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on your experience and qualifications.
Please forward a cover letter describing your experience and ability with respect to the competencies and behaviours stated above, as well as your resume quoting Competition TOS2020-12 by email to: email@example.com.
The Town of Strathmore thanks all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.
This posting is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job ad is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.