The Town of Hinton (www.hinton.ca) is a regional hub for recreation, health care, and retail in the west Yellowhead region, also serving neighbouring Grande Cache, Jasper, and Edson. With a population of approximately 10,000, it is located 270 km west of Edmonton and 80 km east of Jasper along the twin-lane Yellowhead Highway (Hwy 16). Within a short 15 minute drive to the Jasper National Park boundary, there are plentiful adventure and outdoor options available to suit any enthusiast across all seasons including: cross-country and downhill skiing, hiking, camping, mountain biking, golfing, kayaking, canoeing and boating activities, quadding, snowmobiling, fishing and hunting…to name a few.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of the Infrastructure Services provides strategic leadership and direction to several essential and important public services. This role ensures that residents receive municipal services which align with the Town’s strategic priorities and Council’s vision. There are four supervisors reporting to the Director and nearly 30 union and non-union FT staff within the department. The overall operating budget for the department is over $780K.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- A Civil Engineering Technology Diploma from a recognized institution and eligibility for CET designation, and/or a minimum of ten years of experience in construction/maintenance and utilities, ideally in a municipal urban setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with staff, elected officials, contractors and consultants, as well as the general public.
- A demonstrated track record of strong leadership and direction with prior senior management experience within a municipal setting.
- A solid understanding of the budgeting process and the ability to stick within the set budget.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office is essential. Knowledge of Worktech asset management program would be beneficial.
- Experience in implementing development plans, capital works and infrastructure improvement programs.