The Town is seeking a dynamic individual to work within a team-oriented organization to undertake the leadership role of the Public Works Department. Reporting to the General Manager of Operations and Engineering, the Director of Operations is responsible for the planning, organizing, service delivery and supervision of operating and capital-funded programs delivered by the Town of Bonnyville Public Works Department employees or contractors working for the Town of Bonnyville.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, directs, coaches, supervises and coordinates the operation of the Department and the interaction of the Department with other Town Departments and services.
- Under the guidance of the General Manager of Operations and Engineering annually evaluate Department programs ensuring operational requirements are met. The Director of Operations keeps programs and services efficient, effective, and customer service oriented.
- Promote a culture of responsible and quality public service delivery, consistent with the Town’s strategic plan and vision.
- Develops and implements for the Public Works Department a uniform budgeting process that produces accurate operating and capital estimates for presentation and approval by Council. The budget process addresses annual and long-range plans, programs, and resources required to realize corporate objectives.
- Provides reports and advice to the General Manager of Operations and Engineering on all matters of Public Works operations or capital improvement programs. Reports include status of departmental activities, corporate spending in relation to budget, and utilization of grants/cost-sharing programs.
- Schedules and oversees the maintenance and operation of the Town’s infrastructure relating to water treatment, wastewater, storm sewer, solid waste management, equipment pool, park facilities, streets, roads, and sidewalks.
- Develops and initiates long-range capital works programs, ongoing operating programs, budgets, and policy recommendations for all work activities. Implements procedures that are consistent with approved goals, objectives, and policies.
- Administers all public works operations and capital improvement contracts associated with the Public Works Department.
- Under the direction of the General Manager of Operations and Engineering provides liaison with other government agencies, consultants, developers, contractors, utility companies constructing or providing services to lands, facilities, or operations of the Town.
- Ensures that safety programs, staff training, and legislative requirements are addressed. Coordinates the Public Works Department Health and Safety Committee with the Corporate Health and Safety Manager.
- Schedules and oversees the delivery of contract work and employee delivered programs to ensure work is delivered in a timely and efficient manner.
- Under the guidance of the General Manager of Operations and Engineering and in coordination with the Director of Human Resources administers the personnel function for the Public Works Department which includes, but is not limited to, recruitment or replacement of staff, interpretation of the Collective Agreement, undertaking the application of discipline when required, and administration of staff training programs.
- Performs other duties as directed by the General Manager of Operations and Engineering.
Qualifications/ Education/ Experience:
- A certified engineering technologist or better with certificates in water and wastewater or graduation from a related program at a technical institute and successful completion of related courses from recognized organizations and institutions.
- Strong computer literacy skills in word processing, spreadsheets, and engineering drawing/design. Proficiency with geographic information systems and computer aided design.
- Experience with design of municipal infrastructure including water, sanitary, stormwater, utilities, roadways, sidewalks, and typical roadway street furniture.
- Experience with operations compatible with municipal government public works services including the maintenance management programming of infrastructure.
- Formal skills in work scheduling, contract preparation and contract administration. Effective management, team building, leadership and supervisory strengths.
- Strong understanding and commitment to customer service and public relations, and able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, and to deal with others effectively and tactfully.
- Strong working knowledge of all applicable federal, provincial, and local laws, codes and regulations governing the administration of public works and utilities functions and activities.
- Strong working knowledge of theory, principles, practices and techniques of public works, traffic engineering, Municipal water and sewers engineering, and public works and utilities and facilities maintenance functions.
- Ability to analyze statistical data and physical conditions and able to prepare cost estimates, reports, policies, and procedures.
- Effective and strong financial management skills with familiarity with the Municipal Government Act and other relevant provincial statutes.
- Five to seven years of progressively more responsible experience in a similar supervisory capacity.
Closing Date: February 10, 2021.
Submit Application to:
Qualified Applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter and current resume via e-mail or mail to the address below. Please reference Director of Operations in the cover letter.
Town of Bonnyville
C/o Human Resources
Bag 1006, 4917 49 Avenue
Bonnyville, AB 9N 2J7
We thank all those who apply; however only those considered for the position will be contacted.