An exciting opportunity awaits a visionary leader and relationship builder with extensive planning and development experience! Join us to lead and provide strategic direction to a great team of professionals committed to build an increasingly sustainable community!
As the Director, you would be responsible for leading, managing and directing the Planning and Development Services Department to support Strathcona County’s Vision, Strategic and Corporate Business Plans and its commitment to excellence in municipal government and customer service.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you will be responsible for the overall land use planning and development activities in Strathcona County and establish strategic direction and alignment with the organization. You will lead the 5 branches and lines of business with the primary goal of building an increasingly sustainable community with an exceptional quality of life.
- Provide senior leadership to the Planning and Development department to support the County’s vision and align programs with the Corporate Strategic and Business Plans
- Provide expertise, guidance and recommendations to Executive Team and Council on all aspects of strategic planning and development operations and administration, as well as business planning
- Strategize, develop and implement the community-wide vision and policy framework for future growth and development of Strathcona County; ensure it aligns with the County’s Strategic Plan and Sustainability Framework and support a sustainable environment and healthy community
- Provide excellence in personal leadership that establishes and maintains a highly engaged and effective team in the department
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of specific Planning and Development initiatives
- Collaborate with stakeholders to identify, implement, maintain and update planning and development systems to meet the County’s current and future needs
- Ensure that the department is effectively managed in preparing and presenting before Council, Boards and Committees of Council; and other external boards and agencies
- Ensure that the department responds in an effective and timely manner to Council inquiries, complex community planning and development issues and emerging planning, development or real estate trends
Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to collectively create a vision of the future, provide motivational direction to obtain clearly defined goals, influence, persuade, and garner commitment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute strategy, and develop and implement new programs, procedures, services, and policies that address emerging needs, expectations, and operational priorities
- Strong political and business acumen as well as organizational savvy; the ability to respond under pressure to changing political and operational situations
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills including strong management skills to provide direction, training and coaching
- Flexible, adaptable, collaborative and demonstrates a positive attitude
- Excellent presentation and communication skills; a visionary leader with the ability to present and address Council, Boards and Committees
- Ability to work under pressure, manage a variety of projects and initiatives simultaneously and meet tight timelines
- Ability to diplomatically and effectively liaise and consult with internal and external stakeholders
- University degree in business, public administration, urban planning, engineering or a related field. Master’s degree in a related field is an asset
- Minimum ten or more years of senior level management experience with proven strategic leadership in municipal land use planning and development or a related field
- Membership or eligibility for membership in Alberta Professional Planners Institute, the Canadian Institute of Planners, or Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) is considered an asset
- Extensive and successful career track record of progressively senior positions in a public sector organization. Municipal experience is preferred
- Considerable breadth and depth of knowledge of the Municipal Government Act, provincial planning and development regulations and related statutes
- Expertise in the areas of land development, project management, and land use planning is needed
Conditions of Employment
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s licence and access to a personal vehicle with personal business insurance
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered.
Competition number: 182-2020-EXT-PDS
Closing date: 10/27/2020
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Department: Planning and Development Services
Pay range: $81.54 to $101.92 per hour ($148,403 to $185,494 per year)
Hours: 35 hours per week
To apply, go to our website.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing interest in this position. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #182-2020-EXT-PDS closes October 27, 2020
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.