The County of Wetaskiwin is seeking a permanent full-time Director of Planning & Economic Development. The Director is accountable for the provision of the County’s Planning & Economic Development Activities in compliance with the Municipal Government Act and municipal bylaws and policies. As an integral member of the Senior Management Team, the Director will provide critical advice and guidance to the Assistant Chief Administrative Officer, Department Managers, and Council on matters relating to Planning & Economic Development and will serve as manager of the Planning & Economic Development Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Management of municipal statutory planning documents, including Land Use Bylaw.
- Application and review process of Area Structure Plans and Land Use Bylaw amendments.
- Review subdivision applications.
- Perform inspections of local municipal improvements at subdivision and development sites to ensure construction standards.
- Review design drawings and provide feedback and interpretation of the design guidelines and construction standards to developers and the developer’s engineers.
- Act as Development Officer.
- Attend Subdivision & Development Appeal Board Hearings, Council Meetings and Staff Meetings as required.
- Engage staff, develop work plans and goals, and optimize process evaluations to improve service delivery.
- Organize and manage work schedules with the department as outlined by Council.
- Preparation of reports, plans, policies, and annual departmental budget.
- Act as a liaison between prospective developers, stakeholders, and the County on all development inquiries.
- Oversees the preparation of development agreements, securities, easements, and other legal agreements for registration through Alberta Land Titles.
Desired Education Skill Sets and Experience:
- Managing staff and prioritization.
- Ability to meet and achieve deadlines; working well under pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Organizational, communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to interact well with all levels of government as well as staff.
- Class 5 Operator’s Licence with a clean abstract.
- A degree in a related field with experience in Planning & Development is preferred.
- Long range planning and strategic thinking.
- Understanding of Municipal Governance and process.
- Post-Secondary education of Applied Land Use Planning (ALUP) is an asset.
- Background and/or accreditation as a Planner is an asset.
- A designation under ASET or Engineering (APEGA) is an asset.
- Knowledge of Safety Codes is an asset.
The County of Wetaskiwin offers a strong corporate culture and a competitive salary grid.
Applicants are asked to submit their resume by 12:00 noon, Wednesday, June 23, 2021 to:
Barb Wolter, Executive Assistant
Wetaskiwin, AB, T9A 2G5
or submit online at www.county.wetaskiwin.ab.ca
A complete job description may be requested through Jeff Chipley, Assistant CAO, at 780-361-6223 (direct) or firstname.lastname@example.org.