The Municipality of Jasper is a small, friendly and sustainable community set in the natural splendour of Jasper National Park. The town nestles in a rugged, unspoiled wilderness of unparalleled beauty; snow-capped mountain peaks provide the backdrop for evergreen forests, pristine glacier-fed lakes, and waterfalls. Jasper is both a home to its residents and a destination for visitors from across Canada and around the world. The resident population of approximately 5,000 can swell to 25,000 on a summer day.
We are looking for a highly collaborative and talented individual with considerable managerial, financial and human resources experience for the position of Director of Protective & Legislative Services. In this full-time management position, the Director will provide support, oversight, direction and day to day management to the Fire Chief, Licensing & Enforcement Manager, Legislative Services Coordinator and Communications Officer.
You serve as a member of the Management Team continually striving to drive innovative thinking and best practices as you grow your team and its capabilities. You will foster strong working relationships with community stakeholders, elected officials and other departments.
The ideal candidate is a results-oriented professional that is passionate about public service. The candidate will bring innovation and effective leadership to the department, is enthusiastic about growing, developing and empowering the team and have the ability to build and maintain positive relationships with people within and outside the organization.
Essential to this role:
- Experience in all aspects of Council and Committee support, including preparation of agendas, minutes, reports, correspondence, calendar and official records related to these meetings.
- Prepare bylaws, agreements, statutory notices and contracts related to the departmental service area.
- Liaise with the RCMP Detachment Commander, ensure that issues related to policing are brought to the attention of council.
- Provide general guidance to Council and staff on parliamentary and/or legislative procedures, general legal matters and Council policies or procedures.
- Write and present reports on department operations.
- Fulfill duties according to applicable legislative/regulatory standards, local government functions and responsibilities.
- Budget formulation in accordance with Municipality of Jasper’s established procedures
- Promoting positive labour relations
- Well-developed problem solving and decision-making skills
- Skilled technical writer to deliver clear and concise focused reports
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage change, conflict and influence others
- Exceptional relationship building skills and ability to quickly establish credibility, trust and presence with staff and external stakeholders
- A collaborative and inclusive leadership style
- Ability to effectively foster good rapport, cooperative relationships and build trust within teams
A detailed job description is available on our website at www.jasper-alberta.com
The Municipality of Jasper offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefit package, including pension plan.
Applications are invited, in the form of a detailed resume with a covering letter demonstrating your qualifications, skills and experience relative to the requirements of the position to:
Human Resources Manager
Municipality of Jasper
Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org (PDF Format only)
No later than 4:00 p.m. June 28, 2021
All applications will be held in strict confidence. We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We recognize the value that comes from different viewpoints, unique experiences and diverse perspectives of our employees, who bring fresh new ideas to our organization.