The County of Vermilion River is located directly east of Edmonton, and has its east boundary against the Saskatchewan border. Urban municipalities within its boundaries include: Town of Vermilion; Village of Dewberry; Village of Kitscoty; Village of Marwayne; and Village of Paradise Valley. Hamlets/urban service areas within its boundaries include: Blackfoot; Clandonald; Islay; McLaughlin; Rivercourse; Streamstown; and Tulliby Lake. The County has a population of over 8,250 and offers all amenities that appeal to a wide variety of lifestyles, including: first class educational facilities; excellent health care facilities; and outstanding recreational facilities. The County Office is situated in Kitscoty which is about 23 kilometres from Lloydminster.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director is responsible for the professional delivery of Fire Services, Emergency Management and Enforcement Services (Community Peace Officer program and Animal Control) in the County of Vermilion River. The Director is the key advisor to the CAO regarding matters within the Protective Services mandate, including issues such as strategic, financial and business planning.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Develops corporate and administrative policies, short – and long-term plans, procedures and bylaws in accordance with the corporate strategic plan and department business plans.
- Responsible for providing leadership to the programs and ensures that staff resources are managed effectively to meet the service delivery requirements of the department.
- Plans and implements department objectives to maximize service delivery within the operating and capital budgets
- Negotiates agreements for approval of the CAO and Council including regionalization agreements, mutual aid agreements and joint use agreements.
- Conduct investigations and work cooperatively with agencies and regulatory bodies.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in related disciplines or applicable work experience; a strong willingness to take required courses will be considered.
- Senior Officer / Fire Chief experience is preferred
- High level of Emergency Management training as per Local Authority Emergency Management Regulations (LAEMR):
- Incident Command System 100, 200 and 300 Courses
- Alberta Emergency Management Agency Director of Emergency Management Course
- Alberta Safety Codes Fire Discipline – Group A Compliant
- Extensive experience with and knowledge of the Community Peace Officer legislation and program. Familiarity with the Office of the Solicitor General is considered an asset.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a senior management role
- Excellent leadership and public relations skills that inspire and motivate staff and volunteers to perform at their best.
- Municipal experience is considered an asset, as a familiarity and understanding of the Municipal Government Act, bylaws, policies and procedures is required.
- High level of expertise with Budget preparation and planning.
- Must be physically capable of handling the demands of the position.
The County of Vermilion River offers a competitive salary and benefits package based on experience and qualifications.
Applications clearly marked: "CONFIDENTIAL - Director of Protective Services" can be emailed to:
Kathy Jeffrey, Human Resources Manager
County of Vermilion River