The M.D. of Taber is located in south central Alberta neighbouring with 6 other rural municipalities. Running east through the center of the municipalities is the Oldman River that joins with the Bow River at our east boundary. The Bow River defines a majority of our north boundary and Chin Lakes as well as Chin Coullee defines the south. Based on a census the MD has a total population as of April 15, 2016 of 7,173 people. For more information please got to www.mdtaber.ab.ca.
Vision The Municipal District of Taber will be a community based upon principles that include trust and integrity, social and cultural vitality and economic and environmental sustainability.
Mission The Corporate Mission of the Municipal District of Taber is to provide excellence in governance and service that will promote a healthy, diverse and dynamic community.
The MD of Taber is hiring for the position of Director of Public Works.
This position is accountable to the Municipal Administrator for the efficient and effective operation of the public works function of the Municipal District of Taber including;
- Grading operations
- Graveling operations
- Gravel Crushing Operations
- Municipal Construction operations (own force)
- Maintenance Operations – Hard Surface Patching and Repairs
- Municipal Mechanic, Repair and Welding / Fabrication Operations
- Municipal Safety Program
- Fleet purchasing and procurement management
- Road allowance agreements
- Permitting Functions
- To recommend changes to the Municipal Administrator regarding policy matters of the M.D. of Taber within the public works department
- To administer operational/capital public works progress within the confines of annual budgets approved by municipal council
- To direct public works staff through the use of other supervisory personnel such as the Field Operations Supervisor, Projects Supervisor, Shop Foreman, Projects Lead, Construction Lead, Crusher Lead, Safety Coordinator, and Maintenance Foreman
- To the Municipal Administrator on all aspects of departmental operations through both verbal and written reports
- Accountable for the efficient and effective operation of the public works department in all respects
- Field Operations Supervisor
- Construction Operations
- District Grader Operations
- Projects Supervisor
- Project Operations (Culverts and Drainage)
- Crushing Operations
- Graveling Operations
- Hard Surface Road Maintenance
- Snow Plow Operations
- Shop Foreman
- Maintenance and Operations Building Clerk (shared responsibility with Director of Ag Services)
- Safety Coordinator
- Director of Corporate Services
- Director of Infrastructure
- Director of Planning
- Director of GIS / IT
- Director of Agricultural Services
- Director of Hamlets and Utilities
- Director of Municipal Lands
- Regional Fire Chief
- General public
- Government agencies
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE:
- Efficient and effective provision of transportation public works services to the citizens of the M.D. of Taber
- Effectiveness in dealing with public requests and inquiries from the citizens of the M.D. of Taber
- Possession and Exercise of advanced public relation and human resource skills with municipal staff and the public at large
- Quality of advice and report submissions to the Municipal Administrator, Council and other Department Heads.
- Ability to work within an approved budget
- Level and quality of contribution to the overall management effort of the M.D. of Taber
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work of a Director of Public Works is performed partly indoors and will require periods of sitting, typing and general office, in addition there will be out-of-doors involvement for operational requirements and reviews. Typical worksites include a high level of noise, dust, grease or mud, moving vehicles or machines and temperatures varying from very hot to very cold.
Normal safety precautions are required including the wearing of personal protective equipment such as safety boots, high visibility vest and hearing protection.
Work as a Municipal Safety Coordinator requires some physical exertion such as long periods of standing, walking over rough uneven terrain and recurring bending, crouching, stooping and reaching. Occasionally the lifting of heavy items is required. Work requires average physical agility and dexterity.
DETAILS OF FUNCTION:
- Appendix A
- Appendix B
- As a minimum qualification individual must possess a Certificate in Civil Engineering Technology from an accredited Canadian College or University. Qualifications provide the ability to qualify for acceptance as a member of the Alberta Society of Engineering Technologists
- Supplementary certificates or designations related to project management considered an asset.
- Minimum 8 years of professional, technical and management experience in the field of road construction and/or maintenance in either the private or public sector.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in municipal operations specifically related to roads, transportation and public sector procurement.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and direct staff.
- Ability to evaluate, communicate, prioritize and implement action plans effectively in a fast paced, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Experience with managing organizational change initiatives, determining and setting goals and priorities based upon organizational mandates and initiatives.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license. Successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Driver’s Abstract and a current clear Criminal Records and vulnerable sector Check
- Must be physically able to perform duties pertinent to operations
- Knowledgeable in health and safety legislation, auditing and health and safety management systems. Formal education and training in occupational health and safety an asset.
- Possesses advanced computer skills.
- Must be well organized and capable of maintaining even, productive work output
- Confidentiality is required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
DETAILS OF FUNCTION:
- Develop, implement and communicate goals, objectives, budgets and priorities for the Public Works functions of the municipality.
- Responsible for overseeing day-to-day, seasonal and annual planning, procurement, operations and maintenance activities of Public Works.
- Responsible for coordinating and collaborating with all municipal departments to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Develops, maintains and reports on the $10 million dollar operating budget providing monthly updates on operations and advises CAO on all budgetary and scheduling matters that may impact the municipal budget.
- Supervise Field Operations Supervisor who oversees construction and district grader operations.
- Supervise the Project Supervisor who oversees the projects, graveling, crushing and road maintenance (oiling and patching) operations and winter snow plowing operations.
- Supervise the Shop Foreman who oversees the municipal maintenance and welding and parts functions of the municipal shop.
- Ensure the efficient and effective organization and operation of each of the crews and employees within the Public Works Department.
- Coordinate with the Director of Infrastructure, who is be responsible for planning and supervision of the construction and rehabilitation of transportation (including bridges), water and waste water infrastructure within the M.D. of Taber undertaken by external contractors.
- Ensure that the M.D. of Taber meets all provincial and federal regulations, acts, statutes pertaining to scope of work as Public Works Director.
- Operate and maintain existing gravel pits. Coordinate with Director of Infrastructure, who is responsible for sitting new gravel pits and ensuring registration of new gravel sources. The DPW will assist the DOI in preparing gravel pit reclamation plans as part of gravel pit registrations. DPW and DOI will monitor use of gravel from private gravel pits and ensure royalty payments are made in accordance with municipal policy.
- Attends meetings as required pertaining to public works operations.
- Prepare budget recommendations for operational and capital requirements for the Public Works Department for each budget year.
- Reviews and assists in the preparation of engineering plans and work project plans and prepares and submits reports
- Participate in the municipal safety program including attendance at safety meetings as required and promotion of the importance and practice of safety in the work place.
- Keep informed of new methods and equipment which will assist in the efficient operations of the public works department.
- Will ensure efficient operations are carried out by all functions of the Public Works department.
- Ensure work proceeds within necessary budget guidelines and with appropriate approvals.
- Assist the Municipal Administrator, Director of Infrastructure and Municipal Council in short and long term planning and recommend improvements to municipal infrastructure.
- Contribute to the maintenance of the positive public image of the M.D. of Taber and the Public Works Department by ensuring effective and timely responses to inquiries and complaints received from residents.
- Provide technical expertise to Public Works employees with respect to the maintenance and operation of municipal infrastructure.
- Execute approved operational and capital projects within necessary time frames and approved budget guidelines.
- Ensuring roads and traffic control devices are properly installed and maintained.
- Monitor MD road allowances and recommend to Council when road bans should be implemented to prevent damage to municipal infrastructure.
- Act as the contact person for the public regarding issuing special permits for heavy loads on MD roads.
- Supervise and direct the Safety Coordinator for the purpose of maintaining a safe workplace within the M.D. of Taber and to ensure the municipality maintains it’s COR certification.
- Implement all Council policies and decision as directed by Municipal Administrator.
- Demonstrate advanced human resources ability in recruiting, retaining, disciplining and managing municipal staff.
- Supervise, hire, evaluate, dismiss and discipline Public Works staff in accordance with municipal policy and demonstrable good judgment.
- Attend events and meetings as scheduled and as required during or after hours.
- Other duties that may be assigned.
DETAILS OF FUNCTION:
- Undertake and/or delegate and supervise the following functions related to Utilities.
- Inspect, evaluate and approve all pipeline, telephone, power, gas, and other utility installations through, over or under municipal road allowances or within municipally owned property.
- Maintain a good public relations link with all pipeline and utility companies, provincial government departments, and the general public.
- Prepare and maintain agreements covering utility and pipeline crossings of municipal road allowances.
- Maintain a filing system of all utility installations including an up-to-date system of as-built drawings for utilities within the MD.
- Provide research and information on acts, regulations, and MD policies pertaining to utilities to other MD employees, utility and oil companies, and the general public.
- Investigate and report on pipeline and utility damage and major incidents.
- Provide safety education and information to other MD employees on the safety aspects of construction around underground pipelines and other utility installations.
- Inspect actual pipeline crossings.
- Inspection of well site approaches to evaluate as to drainage, line of sight, and set back requirements.
- Inspect and evaluate public utilities as per letters of request.
- Record and file records - manual updates, well site records and work related correspondence.
- Act as a resource person to the MD administrative staff and perform duties as delegated in order to ensure the efficient operation of the organization.
- Participate as needed within Municipal Disaster events
Interested individuals are invited to submit a resume for the seasonal position to:
Municipal District of Taber
c/o Municipal Administrator
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. We thank all applicants; however only those invited for an interview will be contacted.