The Town of Calmar is a perfectly situated commuter town located in the greater Edmonton Metro Region. A close 20-minute drive to city centre amenities, entertainment, and places of work and far enough to maintain a small town feel. With a population of 2,300 our prosperous agricultural community boasts two first-rate schools, a technical labor force and a young growing population. The town is surrounded by year round tourism destinations that offer the highest quality of work-life balance as well as vibrant, locally owned businesses that thrive in a supported business-first community.
The Town of Calmar is looking for a Full Time Term Contract Position for the Director of Public Works and Land Development. The length of the term is negotiable but expected to be approximately 7 months. Reporting directly to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Public Works and Land Development is responsible for the planning, organization, direction and integration of the Town’s public works and future and current land development activities and functions. From time to time will also be appointed as Acting Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), in the absence of the CAO.
Public Works responsibilities include the administration and operational direction of the Town’s public works functions, including fleet management, GIS, streets & sidewalks, storm sewers, solid waste collection, and maintenance of the Town’s underground water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
Land Development responsibilities include all aspects of long range development planning, the administration, monitoring, and enforcement of the Land Use Bylaw (along with the Development Officer), overall subdivision and development process, annexation process, land administration, as well as all duties related to supervising and working alongside the Development Officer.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Graduated from an accredited Civil Engineering Technology Program, or APWA’s Public Works Supervisor Program, or an equivalent educational program.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management/supervisory role in a municipal public works environment;
- Experience developing and implementing operational policies, procedures, work plans, operating and capital budgets and departmental strategic plans;
- Excellent communication, public relations, customer service, problem solving and conflict resolution skills are essential;
- Proven ability to motivate and direct staff in a positive manner to achieve organizational objectives;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and re-evaluate situations as they arise;
- Demonstrated knowledge of Municipal Legislation, Occupational Health & Safety, and Alberta Environment regulations;
- Computer proficiency in business applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook) and familiarity with GIS mapping;
- Class 5 Driver’s License;
- Preference will be given to candidates with certification in Level 2 Water Distribution and Level 2 Wastewater collection and Level 1 Wastewater Treatment.
Planning and Development: Along with proven senior leadership experience in a municipal setting, the Director will have knowledge of the MGA, Provincial regulations, and municipal bylaws and policies as they relate to planning and development. The Director will oversee / assist the Development Officer with the following functions:
- Ensure land development applicants are informed of the process requirements and that the process unfolds in a timely manner as per the MGA requirements.
- Ensure all necessary information is collected, advertised and proper notifications are given as directed under the MGA.
- Manage, review and process all sub-division, and annexation requests along with knowledge of development permits, Land Use Bylaw amendment applications and assist with appeals relating to these areas.
- Work directly with the Town’s planning consultant and Inspection Agency (Safety Codes Permits).
- Issue warning letters and/or Stop Orders on developments that are in contravention of the Land Use Bylaw or other enforcement and land-related issues.
- Provide exceptional customer service to citizens, real-estate brokers, landowners, prospects retailers, government agencies, and developers.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with contributing outside agencies, such as Public works, engineering services, assessors and surveying agencies, solicitors, and other government agencies.
- Refer matters to Town’s planning consultant for consideration in accordance with the Municipal Development Plan and Land Use Bylaw and provide administrative support for all planning meetings, decisions, and functions.
- Maintain all land file information as it relates to development and planning processes.
- Other administrative functions as outlined in the detailed job description.
Planning and Development - Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education in Planning along with Applied Land Use Planning certificate, Urban Studies or a related diploma or degree.
- 3-5 years’ work experience in municipal development and planning.
- Knowledge of relevant and applicable federal, provincial and municipal legislation, Municipal Land Use Bylaws, the Municipal Government Act (MGA), as well as other associated bylaws, regulations programs, and policies.
- Proficient with computers and all aspects of MS Office; knowledge & proficiency with E-site, Muniware and GIS application.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong planning, analytical and organizational skills with systematic and logical work style.
- Impeccable attention to detail, high level of accuracy.
- Excellent communication (written and oral), active listening and problem-solving abilities.
- Customer service aptitude, ability to deal with difficult situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Self-motivated and independent, comfortable working with minimal direction and as part of a team.
- Strong sense of work and personal ethics and a commitment to client confidentiality.
Please type Full Time Term Contract Position for Director of Public Works and Land Development Competition in the subject line.
Detailed Resumes can also be dropped off at the Town Office to the:
Attention of Kathy Krawchuk, Chief Administrative Officer at 4901 – 50 Avenue, Calmar, AB, marked Personal and Confidential or
Emailed to Kathy Krawchuk at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. The Town of Calmar thanks all applicants for their interest in joining the Calmar Team.
This Competition will remain open until the successful candidate is chosen.